• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"Noob" with a question about shocks...

dro6767

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, Well I just got my first XJ! Whooo! haha but the only thing that is wrong with this XJ is that the front shocks need replacing. Now do I just replace the front or the back as well? The back ones are fine so I was thinking of just replacing the front two. Also what kind should I get and such? Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks!

Welcome aboard! Personally i would just do all four,but i dont see any foul in just doing the front. i would suggest [FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Bilstein[/SIZE][/FONT] 5100 series shocks, their the best for the price. Are you sure that your not going to want to lift it right after you get shocks? Thats something to think about.

Last edited:
The backs are hell to do without a mapp+oxy torch or a lot of patience (see http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/broken_shock_mounts.htm) but the fronts are easy. Do yourself a favor and buy 4x 1" long 5/16-18 grade-8 bolts, 4x 5/16" grade-8 washers, and 4x 5/16-18 grade-8 nuts before doing the front, that way you don't have to worry about breaking bolts with reckless abandon. At 17 bucks a pop for cheap OEM-grade replacements I'd do the fronts now (will take about an hour max) and then not worry about it if you consider lifting it... then you can think about the back ones.

Welcome aboard! Personally i would just do all four,but i dont see any foul in just doing the front. i would suggest [FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Bilstein[/SIZE][/FONT] 5100 series shocks, their the best for the price. Are you sure that your not going to want to lift it right after you get shocks? Thats something to think about.

Well I got it lifted already so I don't have to worry about that! Does that mean its going to be a different set of shocks or no? It's got about a 6 inch lift on it and also I believe the shocks that are on it are Doetsch Shocks. Still new to this stuff thanks for all the input guys!

Whatever you do, measure before you get shocks. You need to know the fully compressed length and fully extended length that you need. One way to make sure is flex it out hard and measure what you'll need. Leave an extra inch or so for more compression, as you'll compress the suspension more on a good hit on the way to the trail than you will flexing it on the trail.

Back