• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Disc brakes on a D44

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
What is the inexpensive way to put disc brakes on a rear XJ D44?

Will ZJ discs bolt up, or is there some modification needed to make it work?

Who's done it?

TIA

I used Explorer stuff on my D44. I filled the caliper bracket mounting holes, redrilled the XJ pattern, made a bearing/seal spacer (.230" thick IIRC) out of 2 1/2" or 3" (can't remember which) schd 40 pipe and opened up the rotor center hole slightly (with a drum sander on a drill press) and everything pretty much bolted on. Alot of people like the Crown Victoria stuff but, I don't like how you end up with one caliper in front of and one behind the axle......I like symmetrey. You have to enlarge the Crown Vic brackets' center hole and you still need a spacer but, I understand that the brackets bolt right on, otherwise. It's also a good idea to swap in a Grand Cherokee proportioning valve or at least the innards (what I did)---------Hans

search

f'n noobs....

:laugh:
for ZJ's, you have to enlarge the center hole for bearings, and the axle to bracket pattern is different, so the bracket needs to be drilled to the new pattern.
because the thickness of the drum brake backing plate and the disk brake brackets are different, you either need spacers (teraflex) or get rubicon retainer plates (which also need to be re-drilled for the pattern.)

yes, i have done this.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/suspension/d44brake/bc-1.htm

start here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=967146&highlight=explorer+disc+brakes

The easiest, of course, is to by a kit that can be bolted on.
Or buy brackets you weld on to the axle housing. Then buy a set of GM calipers, source the correct rotors, etc. Not hard, just time consuming researching what fits, what doesn't.

Big question is do you want/require an e-brake? And do you want vented rotors or solid?
The Ford Explorer, late model XJ, TJ, etc route gives an e-brake that's totally separate from the caliper--I like that, but they all come with solid rotors--I don't like that.

The TSM kit http://www.tsmmfg.com/2562_44.htm comes with vented rotors, and uses the Cadillac calipers that have an integral e-brake. Most people find these calipers a pain to deal with While I don't have the TSM kit, I do use a variation of there kit, using the Cad calipers with an e-brake; I find the calipers a pain to set up and keep adjusted.

start here: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=967146&highlight=explorer+disc+brakes

.............using the Cad calipers with an e-brake; I find the calipers a pain to set up and keep adjusted.
Here's a good read: http://classicbroncos.com/tech/rear-disc-brakes-cadillacgm-calipers .........I have a set of those calipers and they'll be going onto my Bronco's FF rearend. Oh, and I picked up the rebuild kits at Autozone or Kragen (can't remember which) for about $5 a kit! --------Hans

So, not really that cheap. I'm comparing the cost to buying all new D44 drum brake parts which is about $150. I know about the Tera spacers, I have the Tera disc kit on the buggy, and I have (had) the Ford Performance Explorer disc kit on the yellow XJ, but those are both custom D60's. (Yes, keeping that spacer aligned while the axle shaft is installed is a PIA)

I would need the e-brake, and if it isn't really simple without a bunch of parts scrounging, there's no way it's worth it, to me at least. I also had the stock D44 10" x 2.5" drum brakes on the XJ and thought they worked fine. I also don't care about having vented discs in the rear, most OEM rear discs are not vented as they don't see the same heat that front brakes do.

Looks like the Explorer is the simplest way to go, so it's a matter of finding the parts cheap.

The problem I had with the stock XJ44 drums was I could not get them to stay adjusted. The last year my Jeep has been sitting a lot, as it has either been down for repair, or I have been up at school. I think every time I've come back to it I've needed to readjust the rears because the pedal was really soft. I also had a self adjuster cable snap after less than a year of use.

I picked up a pair of complete Explorer backing plates, calipers, ebrake cables, with pads and e-brake shoes with great life left on them for $75 at the junkyard the other day off a CFC car. The stuff is pretty cheap.

I did it with the crown vic which is almost identical to the explorer. Only the bolt pattern on the caliper brackets matches that of the D44 which = less work. The only thing thats annoying is it is leading /trailing calipers. I flipped one of the brackets which means that now one caliper is upside down... One idea I had for that is using a caliper (not the bracket, just the caliper) from a explorer on that inverted side. I havent looked into that idea really though.

Bleeding the upside down side must be slightly annoying... I think I'd go for the asymmetrical setup due to that, though it offends my OCD sense of symmetry.

I did it with the crown vic which is almost identical to the explorer. Only the bolt pattern on the caliper brackets matches that of the D44 which = less work. The only thing thats annoying is it is leading /trailing calipers. I flipped one of the brackets which means that now one caliper is upside down... One idea I had for that is using a caliper (not the bracket, just the caliper) from a explorer on that inverted side. I havent looked into that idea really though.
I was going to do it that way but, someone said that the Explorer calipers and Crown Vic calipers aren't the same:dunno: Also, flipping the one bracket would put one e-brake cable above and one below the axle centerline........I know, no big deal but again, the asymmetry would drive me nuts! Oh and Goatman, I picked up all the brake parts and a couple of e-brake cables (that I modified) for less than $70. With the price I paid for the D44 and selling my 8.25.......I have less than $200 in the whole rearend (still stock gearing and open diff......for now)----------Hans

Last edited:
Tom Phillips axle was the one I used for that thread you neglected to search on. :) He scored the backing plates and calipers for $40, ZJ rotors were like 25-30 bucks, add in new pads and he was well under $200. For those who don't feel like pulling axle bearings, you can just cut a notch in the spacer. Oh, the prop valve is also an easy one, just get the spring from a ZJ and swap it in. Makes a HUGE difference.

So, not really that cheap. I'm comparing the cost to buying all new D44 drum brake parts which is about $150. I know about the Tera spacers, I have the Tera disc kit on the buggy, and I have (had) the Ford Performance Explorer disc kit on the yellow XJ, but those are both custom D60's. (Yes, keeping that spacer aligned while the axle shaft is installed is a PIA)
Looks like the Explorer is the simplest way to go, so it's a matter of finding the parts cheap.

I went to the U-pull-it and found a Crown Vic taxi with the rear brakes in good shape. I paid $50 for the backing plates, rotors, calipers, brake lines, and park brake cables. I had to enlarge the opening on the backing plate for the axle bearings to fit, and the rotor hub opening to fit on the axle. I also had to hog out the holes in the rotor for the wheel studs. When I pulled the brake lines, I cut the hard lines to keep the fitting. I then cut the jeep brake lines at the wheel cylinders, and re-flared the lines with the Ford fittings. I also bought Rubicon retainer plates. All said and done, I spent $74.

Here the cost list for brake parts from when I built the 44 thats in the Jeep now

$25 Ford Explorer disc brake brackets - Junk yard
$30 Calipers - Junk yard
$80 Explorer rotors and brake pads - Autozone
$40 New brake lines
$15 Rubicon retainer plates - Jeep dealership

Although while I went cheep and reused the JY calipers, and got the cheapest pads and rotors Autozone had(I think they were on sale too). I'm in the process of building a 44 that came from an MJ and plan on doing the Explorer brakes again, this time new calipers, Centric rotors for a ZJ, and EBC Green Stuff pads.

Following parts used:

'96-'01 Explorer
Brackets/Dust shield (dust shield holds e-brake setup drum/hat style)
Calipers
(2) Passenger side soft lines
Pads
E-brake shoes/hardware

ZJ (w/ rear disc)
Rotors (no need to enlarge center hole and similar hat height)
Prop valve spring (although I discovered my XJ had the short spring already)

Teraflex
Spacers - PN 86261
http://www.teraflex.biz/products/brake-plate-spacer-for-dbk-j-disc-brake-kits.html

I've never had stock front brakes and rear disc (upgraded both at the same time) so I'm not sure how much more power it provides. I do know I love the fact I don't have to adjust them every other week. :D

Ask blodejon he did this swap like 5 or 6 months ago. I did mine first but i have a chrysler 8.25 He is pretty good at doing stuff on the cheap. I think he said he used TJ backing plates PM him he can help you out GOATMAN

I did it with crown vic brackets and rubicon backing plates. Search will give you all the info you need. It was the way for me to go because I had access to the crown vic brackets really cheap, brand new. I think it's a little easier than some of the other ways but hey, there is always more than one way to skin a cat, right?

That being said, I run the disc brake D44 on my "DD" (hahaha) XJ, which runs 32s. The braking is phenominal. I also have another XJ on Q78s with the D44 rear and it has drums. While it is a PITA after going through mud, they make noise, I definitley feel that the braking with the drums, lower (4.88) gears, and larger tires is more than adequate with the drums. If I had known this before I did the disc swap, I probably wouldn't have done the discs!!! No matter how fresh the stuff was, the drums on my 8.25 never worked well.

So if you're on a budget, keep the drums for now!!

Yeah, I had an XJ D44 and 33" tires and I was never unhappy with the brakes.......after I swapped in the later '95+ double booster.

Richard, you can have the brakes off my old D44. They're dual bolt pattern and just need some new pads and paint.

Richard,
The ZJ or TJ rear disc brake swap is nearly identical to adding Explorer discs on a D44.
First, source the parts including bearing retainer plates and spacer

Weld up the bearing retainer plate bolt holes and re-drill for D44 pattern
000_0350.jpg

Transfer pattern to the Disc brake backing plates (TJ discs) and drill to match.
000_0366.jpg

Swap the prov valve spring out for a ZJ spring

Back