• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

swaping parts out question

poomero

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 2 door 4.0 xj and i want to make it more of a trail truck. i have a 3 inch lift on it right now and i like the height of it and would like to keep it this tall.

I want to know what axels will fit under it and will bolt right up? What truck can i take them off of?

Can i change the auto trans to a stick and if so what would be the best for this and what transfer case should i look for? what would i have to change if i do this.

any other advise you can give me would be great.

The only axles that will bolt up under the back end are Cherokee axles. The Dana 35, C-8.25 and the Dana-44 they put in the XJ(not any Dana-44, only the XJ version)

In the front, any XJ or TJ Wrangler or any ZJ Grand Cherokee. It's all versions of the Dana 30, except for the TJ rubicon axle, a Dana-44

Why do you want to swap your axles?

i was thinking of doing it so they will be strong and i also wanted to put a locker in them. if i dont need to that would be great.

Hook up with a 4wd club, try some trails, find out what KIND of wheeling you like to do, then build for that purpose.

Rock Krawler, Mud Bogger, Desert Racer, Explorer, Mall Cruiser, etc., there are mods more specific to different applications.

I was thinking of doing it so they will be strong and i also wanted to put a locker in them. if i don't need to that would be great.
Get out and wheel it the way it is. Most peoples progression seems to be Wheels/tires first, then lunchbox locker or gears/lockers next. Wheel it stock for a little while, and you'll get an idea of what it can do.(a lot more then you think.)
If you don't go over 31" tires, you won't NEED stronger axles.(yes, I know about all the people who broke stuff with stock tires)

If you want the strongest bolt in axles.
Rear:
Dana-44
Cry-8.25(29 sp axle)
Cry-8.25(27sp. axle)
Dana 35(non c -clip)
Dana 35( c-clip )

For the front:
TJ Dana-44 *
XJ Hi-Pinion Dana 30 - Non-disconect *
XJ Hi-Pinion Dana 30 - Disconect #
XJ/ZJ/TJ Low pinion Dana 30 #

* Some people will argue that the high pinion(reverse rotation) Dana 30 is as strong as the low pinion Dana 44 in a front application, and they're probably right, especially considering the TJ axle has the same outer axles as the -30

# there are 2 u-joint versions and a C.V. joint version of the Dana 30:
297X(Strongest)
260x
CV

If you can score a Rubicon Dana 44 front, it already has the locker and 4.10 gears.

If you don't mind a little fab work you can put TJ Rubicon axles under both ends(have to remove the factory brackets on the rear axle and weld/have welded on spring perches.) That gives you Dana 44s, lockers, and 4:10 gears and rear disc brakes.
You can also put a ford 8.8" Explorer axle under the back, same fab work as the TJ axle. Gives a little stronger axle then the D-44, 4.10 gears, limited slip, and disc brakes.

Check out the FAQs:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=165

and this(from the top of the Mod tec page)
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=80707

You can also swap in a manual, I noticed you asked about that but nobody replied. It's a lot of work but worth it if you love driving stick. AX-15 out of a 94-99 XJ or NV3550 out of a 2000-2001 XJ are both bolt up and worthwhile swaps. If you know how to replace a clutch you can do the swap. Swapping into the 90 XJ would be easy, though I believe you would need a newer model transfer case as well. May as well put in the NP241OR case from a rubicon if you can source one cheap enough and get the 4:1 there as well. Check out my buildup thread in my sig for more info on the 5speed swap.

Back