• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ steering box rebuild?

Droopy76

NAXJA Forum User
My steering box is leaking from both ends. I called to price a rebuilt unit today and about had a stroke. My question is should I rebuild my box and how hard is it, or should I just cough up the dough and buy a new one?

Salvage yard upgrade to the ZJ or Durango box.

id say replace it. you can go to advance and get a reman one for a fairly good price. even if the rebuild kit was free its just not worth trying to do it. pulling the box is a job in itself. let alone pulling it, rebuilding it, putting it back in, and still finding something is wrong

even some of the best mechanics i know dont touch the internals of steering boxes.

I'm curious about the PSC rebuilt gearboxes. Unless there's a big core charge, that seems to be one of the better prices. Been thinking about trying that one- my gearbox has a lot of lateral play on the output side- making for a lot of bumpsteering and the Jeep trying to chase every rut and groove.

I'm curious about the PSC rebuilt gearboxes. Unless there's a big core charge, that seems to be one of the better prices. Been thinking about trying that one- my gearbox has a lot of lateral play on the output side- making for a lot of bumpsteering and the Jeep trying to chase every rut and groove.

Hallo. Is yours making cluncky noises? Maybe that's mine doing that, I am looking for.

wim

I just bought a reman. from Autozone for $139.99 plus $15.00 core. Seems fairly reasonable to me.

Now, if I could get get the damn pitman arm off. Broke two pitman arm and one gear puller.

My old steering box was leaking pretty bad so I replaced it with one of the reman ones and it sucks. It doesn't leak anymore but the steering is worse than the old leaking box. I should have upgraded to the ZJ or Durango box or just rebuilt the stock one.

Back