• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tera Flex revolver shackles

nickguy

NAXJA Forum User
So I picked up a set of these used. Have been sort of obsessively researching them so have a sense of the pros and cons. I was interested in what NW XJ owners think about the applicability to the trails here. Best description of what my rig is used for is wheeling,fishing, general expedition vehicle, Search and Rescue, up on blocks, and occasional work use. (not a daily driver) My XJ suspension up front is 3.5" coils plus 1 3/4" spacers netting 5.25" of lift. (short arm adjustable control arms) Rear is closer to 5.5" and I use a combination of RE full size AAL and S10 leaves with shock shackles and DPG bumpstops. So my XJ is pretty flexy up front but every time I put a rear wheel over a rock I get to experience serious camber the suspension just does not really drop. This was brought home to me at Funny rocks last week when I came close to flopping on the middle route. My original plan was to redo the rear with 4.5" RE leafs and RE shackles. I then got a deal on 5.5 leafs and another on revolvers which in theory means I can maintain my lift height as is.
I like the concept but maybe they are just a bad idea for the XJ. I am not into sudden moves so the unloading as shown in the video does not scare me too much but maybe I just need to lift the front another inch and go with the standard extended shackles. I actually really like my ride height for my setup, (33"s) but I suppose another inch would not hurt tire clearance.
Anyway hopefully this promotes some discussion and we all end up with coil over mods but if you have thoughts I would appreciate input. Again I put this here and not on the general tech discussion because I think the issue has local implications.

Teraflex unloading vid

http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c...eo/?action=view&current=teraflex_revolver.flv

Pretty universally recognized as gimmicky and not very practical, those revolver shackles. Not just unloading under acceleration, but on sidehills and other off-camber situations. XJs are a little top-heavy as it is, no reason to exacerbate the problem by allowing them to rapidly shift the center of gravity in a tippy situation.

Just go with regular extended lift shackles with the "boomerang" bend to them.

Both guys I knew personally running them took them off after the first run. They were the same set, too, passed from one guy to the next.

I don't have any experience with Revolvers. I have read all the bad stuff about them also and I am not quite so quick to judge them.

I think a lot of their performance differences in specific vehichles probably has much more to do with specific spring rates, shocks, weight, etc and could vary significantly from one vehicle to another. If I was going to run them I would probably consider a limiting strap in the center of the rear axle and make sure that the rear shaft doesn't have any binding issues at full droop.

On the other hand there are a bunch of ways to make your system work better. Relocating the shackles, top and bottom shock mounts, proper bump stops etc all can make you get more out of the current springs you have.
Do your rear springs invert at all? Do they stuff well? what is limiting your rear droop? How long are the shocks?

On a completely different note, you could consider stiffening up the front end also?

Michael

Thanks very much gentlemen.

Great input. Shock travel is not my issue. The springs stuff ok but I do not have a lot of room there which is part of the problem. Anyway I think the shackles get shelved for now.

Back