• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can't find it.

conceitedjake

NAXJA Forum User
I have a wet passenger's side floorboard. I just spent over an hour upside down in the rain in my Jeep looking for a leak under the dash and I can't find a thing. There are no drips around the windshield, I have sealed all the foam seals around the blower motor (which was most peoples problem, thank you search engine) There is no water coming in from the door, top or bottom. I am about to give up and just rip the carpet out and herculine it. If I didnt know it wasn't possible I would swear a spring had bubbled up in my Cherokee...it seems like its coming from nowhere. Help me.

Also, for some reason it only does it when the nose of the Jeep is parked up an incline. Never does it when the Jeep is level or when it is backed up the incline.

Check for leaks or rust holes or a clogged drain in the cowl vent, where the fan motor lives. You can get a pretty good look if you take the motor out.

x2 on the clogged drain. Seen this before on a number of different vehicles where parking differently "fixes" the problem.

Thanks so much for the suggestions guys....I will tackle that first thing in the morning. This jeep has zero rust on it so Im assuming something is stopped up. Gonna be a great day...replacing the valve cover gasket and hunting a leak.

What often happens is water drips on the blower motor, and then seeps through the dry-rotted foam gasket. Also there is a pinch seam along the front of the cowl, and water will often run down through there. This usually happens when you park nose down since water pools at the bulge in the pinch then drips right onto the blower motor, but it could probably also happen from water running off the back of the hood.

I have been fighting this problem on mine for a while now and it remains undefeated. I am going to buy some bulk neoprene and cut a replacement gasket to see if that will fix it. I may also fabricate a splash shield of some kind for the top of the motor to keep water from splashing into it.

I chased leaks in mine forever. One finally turned out to be the rear drivers door window looking closed, UP, but not being all the way up. The water would hit the floor in the rear and run up to the front seat passenger side. Also the radio antenna entry is a frequent, hidden leak location. Old weather stripping on the windows does not help either.

Still haven't found the leak but I am able to look around a lot easier now (I ripped out my carpet) a Limited doesn't feel so "Limited" without carpet. Im going to try and replicate the leak tomorrow and see if I can narrow it down.

the Quinine in tonic water will glow under a black light so one thing to try is spritzing it around the firewall and hood. I found four or five leaks on the firewall while the engine was out by using that trick. It's not real easy to see in daylight but it works well at night.

Do you have airconditioning and were you running it prior to noticing the water in the passenger side? There is a drain tube with rubber cap in eng compartment near passenger side that frequently gets clogged and causes ac condensation to drip onto passenger side floor.

I know of the hose you are talking about and already check it for leaks...It itsn't clogged. I think my patch on the holes about the intake for the blower motor fixed the prob because there was no water in the truck this morning and it rained the hardest since I've been here in TX. Thanks for your suggestions guys. Now to go buy some herculiner.

My XJ is dry but my MJ had leaks arould the windsheild. I took it to the glass shop and they removed it and resealed it. Now it is as dry as a bone.

Back