• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Aussie Install, D30, wont unlock

DrRandy

NAXJA Forum User
YES.....I've searched and still searching

I just finished my Aussie install in my D30, all measurements (gaps) were in spec.

Everything seems fine in 2wd…acts normal

So I went to 4wd in the neighborhood, it wont unlock. I hear NO ratcheting that I’ve read about. Went to a parking lot with new blacktop and the tires chirped turning right and left in LARGE circles. BTW it Passed the “Spin” test on jacks…had to wiggle the tires a bit but it did spin and ratchet…is the wiggling normal?? If I stop at a stop sign then turn, I have to go so slow and the steering wheel will pull back to straighten up the tires, example, i turn left the steering wheel is trying to go right to straighten up the tires….make since?

As you guessed it I’ve never dealt with a locker b/f!

Last edited:
hmmm, i've never had that problem. but i haven't had one in the front. if you go back to 2wd is it ok again? i think they pretty much stay locked if they have power going to them. i think the idea of 4wd is for slippery surfaces, so it's not gonna act right on new blacktop. try it out in some mud or sumpin.

Find a patch of dirt and try it again. 4WD is not made for asphalt. When you are in 4WD on pavement, and turn, the rear axle tries to "push" the front axle, because it's following a shorter path/smaller circle, but trying to turn the same speed as the front. It may be applying enough force that the front axle won't unlock.

See if it works in dirt and post back up.

Edit: and stop using 4wd on pavement. You're going to break something.

Thanks guys....yes if i go back to 2wd its fine again, normal. As for the 4wd on the street i wanted to check and see if the Aussie will function properly when turning. So you think testing the ratching around corners wont work on the road in 4wd??

Never run 4wd locked on the street!

I run the same setup and I vote that you are fine. Mine does that on slickrock trails in Moab. Steering will get tight and tires chirp a little. Pavement providing same effect. I never hear my front ratchet either, just the back. And RCP is right, dont do that on pavement. I test my 4wd in straight lines only.

I have a Aussie in the front and what you are saying is normal. As long as it is not locked while in 2wd then life is good. You will notice some ratcheting and popping while in 2wd and turning tight turns.

Get it out of 4wd on the pavement before something goes "SNAP"

I have a Aussie in the front and what you are saying is normal. As long as it is not locked while in 2wd then life is good. You will notice some ratcheting and popping while in 2wd and turning tight turns.

Get it out of 4wd on the pavement before something goes "SNAP"

No, not locked in 2wd at all, i can turn pretty tight as usually, i only drove it MAYBE 5 miles and about 4.5 miles was in 2wd. I guess i didnt turn sharp enough in 2wd to hear and noise/ratcheting.

thanks guys

If you have a 231 transfer case, you don't want to keep doing that. If it passes the test like you said & is invisible in 2wd it is working correctly. If you make a 90 deg turn in 2wd you should hear the click click click...

If you have a 231 transfer case, you don't want to keep doing that. If it passes the test like you said & is invisible in 2wd it is working correctly. If you make a 90 deg turn in 2wd you should hear the click click click...

Thats what i wanted to hear....thanks all! I'll hit the trails in the morning, i post back up thanks again!

Anytime you're acclerating or have your foot on the gas in 4wd it will be locked. If you want to test it coast around a corner in 4wd, but don't do it on the pavement. You're asking for trouble if you do.

Thanks...just never had a locked rig b/f.... guess i just dont know what to expect.

You really need to learn how to drive with the locker.

I don't know if you get much ice/snow where you are at, but take it easy on the throttle while running 4wd in those conditions until you are sure you know what it is going to do.

And sure as H*ll don't loan it to anybody--they won't know what the heck is happening and will wreck it for you.

You really need to learn how to drive with the locker.

I don't know if you get much ice/snow where you are at, but take it easy on the throttle while running 4wd in those conditions until you are sure you know what it is going to do.

And sure as H*ll don't loan it to anybody--they won't know what the heck is happening and will wreck it for you.

As for the snow...havent seen it stick to the road in 10 yrs.
I agree with loaning it to someone....that would be as good as murder.

thanks

I have had my front lock up on road in 2wd while braking hard on a wet road, luckily I knew what to do since my last rig was a CJ-5 locked front and rear and was my DD. I had learned the hard way how to control the short wheel base so the longer wheel base was easy to get straight. You have to drive with some sense and slow down in slick conditions, brake easy.

Back