• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motor Mounts

Baja_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Im looking at getting the 84 dollar set of MORE motor mounts, it says noticable gain in vibrations. I know this is due to the poly bushings and getting the 140 set with rubber will keep the vibs down but when it says vibrations does it mean the rock from the idle or is there actually vibrations transmitted through the motor that would be uncomfortable on the street? An alternative is the Currie Mounts which are 87 and have a urethane mount that "absorbs vibrations". Which would you buy?

Last edited:
what about brown dog, they are a sponser........ from what everyone else is saying they are bada

Im looking at getting the 84 dollar set of MORE motor mounts, it says noticable gain in vibrations. I know this is due to the poly bushings and getting the 140 set with rubber will keep the vibs down but when it says vibrations does it mean the rock from the idle or is there actually vibrations transmitted through the motor that would be uncomfortable on the street? An alternative is the Currie Mounts which are 87 and have a urethane mount that "absorbs vibrations". Which would you buy?

I used to have the MORE mounts wit the "torsional rubber." It did transmit more vibrations and noise (kind of like a constant slight driveline vibe) It uses a bushing that looks like a stock lower CA bushing. They will be the last motor mounts you will ever buy. When I pulled the engine out of my XJ, we transferred these mounts to our jeepspeed. They show no sign of giving up any time soon.

While you're shopping at the MORE site, you may want to take a look at their block plates (not sure what they call them) or make something similar.

-Dan

I only wish I could go that far. I dont have that kinda of money at the moment and my driverside is broke and caused my header to crack and now it sounds terrible and theres no need to fix the header and leave a broke mount so I want to replace it. I dont want to go OEM but Id like to keep it under 100 unless Im going to get terrible vibrations. The rock from the idle I can take and actually wouldnt mind but if it will cause bad vibs to be sent through the Jeep I'll keep away from the poly bushings

While you're shopping at the MORE site, you may want to take a look at their block plates (not sure what they call them) or make something similar.

-Dan

Thats why Im thinking of going with the MORE mounts, I dont have the money for everything now so I was thinking of buying the mounts now and upgrading to the block plates when I get the rest of the money. So even with the rubber bushings you can feel a driveline vib? So the polys would probably be terrible

The block plates won't work with certain brands of aftermarket headers, so watch out for that...that's why I suggested making your own. It's not that difficult, and will be much easier to do when your header is off.

As far as your header goes...I'm not one to buy cheap crap on ebay, but a few years back my wifes ZJ (4.0) needed a header. I bought one from 1A Automotive on ebay for less than $100 shipped. It was still working with no problems two years later when we traded it in on a new car. It's probably not on par performance-wise to the name brand aftermarket stuff, but served a budget purpose well.

-Dan

So I ordered Brown Dog rubber mounts, now what do I do about a tranny mount? All I can find is OEM or poly. Ive heard you cant used rubber motor mounts with a poly trans mount or you can bust your bellhousing. Shoot me a link or a company to look at for a tranny mount

I have run a Daystar poly trans mount with stock motor mounts for about two years, then switched the motor mounts to Brown Dog with the natural rubber and still have had no problems, but I don't beat my XJ.

Well I ended up switching the order to poly motor mounts and ordered the prothane trans mount. I was going off what people were saying in the old threads and they all said it would bust the bellhousing and I didnt want the stock back in and I think the poly mounts will be a benefit in my situation putting the torque to the ground quicker and more efficently

I have run a Daystar poly trans mount with stock motor mounts for about two years, then switched the motor mounts to Brown Dog with the natural rubber and still have had no problems, but I don't beat my XJ.
I've been looking at these motor mounts, how are the vibrations?

IMHO, the block side mount is way more important to beef than the frame side. I've seen too many engine blocks break which then junks the engine. T&J's makes a great engine side mount. I would never go to an aftermarket frame-side mount without beefing the engine side of things.

IMHO, the block side mount is way more important to beef than the frame side. I've seen too many engine blocks break which then junks the engine. T&J's makes a great engine side mount. I would never go to an aftermarket frame-side mount without beefing the engine side of things.

I agree, I just installed the MORE rubber mounts and found I had two bolts broken on my passenger side. Thats two broken bolts after 5 about five wheelin trips. I'm going to beef up my stock mounts similar to what ashman did.

Maybe true but you need to realize Im nor doing it for beef, Im going to but at the moment Im doing it because I have to since my driver side is broke. Im going to upgrade for strength later thats why I went with brown dogs

Just ordered my brown dogs, I have heard nothing but good things about them and the price is affordable too!

Baja XJ is that your rig in your avatar? got pics of that thing posted anywhere?

Yes thats my Jeep, look in the introduce your jeep in this jeepspeed forum as well as the 55 hours later topic and there are more pix of it.

I got my mounts on, the poly is not near as bad as what everybody made it sound like. I have not noticed a thing different. It actually idles alot smoother than before

Back