• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear storage/platform done!!! Finally!

XJ_Otto

NAXJA Forum User
Im finally done!!! For the most part. There are a couple of small details Ill pan out later but this thing is 99.9% done!! Im very excited about this b/c its been about a year or longer from drawing plans to completion. Ive put well over 100 hrs into it with drawing, measuring, cutting, building, etc. etc. and Im very pleased. Comments welcome.
On to the pics....

PA020824.jpg

PA020826.jpg

PA020827.jpg

PA020830.jpg

PA020835.jpg

PA020834.jpg

PA020838.jpg

Slideouts that hold a front extension piece to increase the length to 70" so I can sleep back there...
PA020833.jpg

plenty of room for more stuff...
PA020832.jpg

Thanks!

Question I got about it: Can I still use the rear seat?

Yes. The whole thing is removable in a few minutes by myself. Ill leave the rear half in permanently, but the front half can just be taken out, seat back raised up, and seat bottom reinstalled.

Very well done.

you mean on top of it?? It would easily hold me and my girl sleeping when camping. I would stack crap from the platform to the ceiling without hesitating. Its pretty beefy. The doors on the front section have a 1/2" lip under the door all the way around, but the pieces making the lip are 3" wide. Its 1/2" plywood, but the edges have 3/4" x 1" pieces on them for strength. It will hold whatever I put on there.

Thanks PacEd.

Thats very well done there, sir. I see all those hours you put into it really paid off.

Nice! I like my "box" for what I do but I could easily get everything into that as well. I carry a spare XJ in the back of my XJ.

very clean!

that is a very well laid out, and designed storage solution...

what's a rough estimate on what you spent on materials?

okay, do me now. its a '92 I'll give you 50 bucks and some big league chew.

Ha...um...add 1950 bucks and Ill consider it..haha. This was an incredibly labor intensive thing to make...I dont want to do it again for a long long time..haha. Ill take some big league chew though...grape.

MELKOR,

I got all the wood for free from my old man. b/c of the widths and lengths it would take 2 4x8 sheets of plywood for the tops though...cant get both from one piece. Then the uprights, etc. Then the carpet, aluminum edging, carpet glue, hardware (d-rings, turnbuckles, screws, s-hooks, eyebolts, locks, trapdoor latches, etc etc.) was probably around $150 but I cant say exactly...I just know I had a trip to lowes that was like $70 and another that was around the same or so. If you were to buy everything it would probably be over $200 but thats the best estimate I can give...hope it helps.

Thanks for the comments guys.

So any pics of the front portion removed, and pics of HOW it's removed?

I like the idea of being able to take the front portion out so the seats can go up, without the hassle of dealing with the back.

~Scott

Back