• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quieting a TeraLow

IllianaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Any suggestions on how to quiet down a TeraLow transfer case? I originally ran synthetic B&M Trick Shift, and then after a year or so changed the fluid out to normal ATF. It's been noisy since the day I installed it.

Are there any additives I can put in to quiet it down when in 2WD? I don't mind it in 4LO, but around town it can be annoying.

If your having issues in 2wd/4HI,then its a bearing or chain issue.The planetaries are not turning unless in LO range.
BTW:because of the increased load(torque) on the chain they tend to wear out faster.

That sucks. I was hoping it wasn't that but I had a suspicion. I hate taking the TNT crossmember out.

Thanks though!

If your having issues in 2wd/4HI,then its a bearing or chain issue.The planetaries are not turning unless in LO range.
BTW:because of the increased load(torque) on the chain they tend to wear out faster.

Not necessarily. According to Tera some of the tera lo's are noisy in 2WD. Mine was, so I called. They explained to me that the more you use it (in 4wd) the quieter it will get and after a little over a year mine did. I also run Redline synthetic hi temp atf (dexIII) in it, and that made a big difference in quieting the noise. I can barely hear mine at all anymore in 2wd and 4wd is much quieter.

They explained to me that the more you use it (in 4wd) the quieter it will get and after a little over a year mine did.

Sounds like you(and Tera-flex covering their ass)answered your own question!

Back