• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Correcting Shackle Angle, How I Did Mine [pics]

freerider15

NAXJA Forum User
Well as most of us all know, lifting an XJ comes with some unwanted side effects, one of those things typically being a sh*tty rear shackle angle(n). Well I finally got tired of the limited flex it would allow, seeing how I reallllllly could have used it in the past. We'll start with what my shackle angle originally looked like...

1001233gv5.jpg

Pretty huh!...Yeah pretty sh*tty :D

This is turn let the rear flex...well...not much at all. That caused some off camber situations like this to have a little bit more pucker factor than needed...

dscn0502vu5.jpg

So I set out to fix the problem. I sketched some things up and ran them by some people to get some input. I decided to build up what I had drawn. Well it took two tries to get it right...but the end result was worth it. Essentially these are what I came up with:

img0349gy4.jpg

I got them all mounted up (should have measured a couple more times, but they fit )...needless to say the shackles sits at almost exactly 45*. I had to cut the rear most holes off since the shackle at compression was wider than the opening, causing it to stop and the metal to bend. I took it a couple yards down the street to test it on an RTI ramp to see how much difference it made. Well, it certainly did to say the least. I can now droop a HELL of alot better, the tires stuff a little too well...but once great improvement has been to on-road ride. The "final" resting angle...

img0364kn9.jpg

A few gratuitos flex shots (yeah I know, poser shots...but my front is still broken due to Carnage Boulder where I was gonna test em...so no wheeling shots yet)

img0360nw3.jpg

Here you can see how it actually droops now (yes my shocks are disconnected...)

img0361if1.jpg

So all in all...a very time worthy project! :thumbup:

wheres the pic of your rear quarter eating that MTR? :D

wouldnt you just love to go out to the garage and take the cut off wheel, and give it a bit more clearance in the rear? *cough* compcut *cough*

My buddy has a `71 Mustang drag car built in the late `70`s,it has adjustable rear shackles,similar to yours.....however the holes are just big slots.

that is interesting, not dissing you or your design in any way as it looks nicely executed but wouldn't a boomerang shackle do essentially the same thing?

Skullvarian said:
that is interesting, not dissing you or your design in any way as it looks nicely executed but wouldn't a boomerang shackle do essentially the same thing?

No, the mount is still in the same place. The dogleg does not do much to correct the issue. All it does is helps to fit slightly longer aftermarket springs. But the spring still pulls on the shackle the same. So it really just pulls it to the same spot it would with a normal shackle.

Last edited:
jjvande said:
i like this, but the one thing it doesn't address is the stock shackle box mounts to the unitbody. Spot welds.

I can see how one would say that, but in reality...this has taken less stress off the stock shackle box. I fabbed this up for something that could be done for someone who doesnt feel like having to put more fab than needed into something, that well doesn't really need it. I know others have done things very similar to mine in the past, and have held up. I could have welded plate to the sotck shackle box, but didn't feel it would need it at this point in time.

this is definately something i would like to do soon.

nice work

I can see how one would say that, but in reality...this has taken less stress off the stock shackle box.

i guess i agree to some extent. creating a box out of it will make it more rigid. what i see is that the bolt is now a few inches down and this should result in an increase in the torque(side-to-side) on the box structure. THis may not be an issue... but i've heard of stock mounts tearing under extreme use... Jeepspeed type stuff. It's good to hear he's got a plan to tie it in some more.

I read and I don't think you mentioned it, but if you did I'll take a complimentary dumbass stamp to my forehead, but from the new mount point and angle, did your lift height change at all? If so, how much?

Nope, no noticable change in hieght, when I made the new "box", I made it with that in mind. By "lowering" the mounting point, it would have given me more lift. But since it sits at a 45* angle now instead of 90, it counteracts giving me more lift. I can explain more if needed. :D

Back