• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Toyota axles

Antiferret

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys,

Can someone point me to a thread on replacing the danas with hilux axles front and rear?,

this will be my cheapest option (d44's etc are expensive in Aus)

thanks

Based on your previous post(s),just get a 29spline 8.25" and you can easily run 35" tires.Toy axles are ok(my son has a Toy) but they definately have their own problems(I would never cosider one).

Look up Go-jeep, he's down in Aus and has a very thorough website and likely has looked into the same idea. He could probably give you good insight.

Nissan Patrol and Landcruiser 80-series axles are the ones to go for. The front axle will need professional modification to change the side of the diff though. I understand this is a fairly common swap in Aus, a guy over here in the UK has just shown me his Patrol axle conversion, done on a TJ.

Nissan Patrol and Landcruiser 80-series axles are the ones to go for. The front axle will need professional modification to change the side of the diff though. I understand this is a fairly common swap in Aus, a guy over here in the UK has just shown me his Patrol axle conversion, done on a TJ.

not a common swap, but a good one!

i beleve a patrol axle is bulletproof (same as a 31spline ford 9) and i know a fella here who runs 37's (!) without a drama. harder to engineer the handbrake (on patrols its on the transfercase output, not at the wheels)

toyos here are usually 4.3 ratio stock (perfect for 33's). better brakes (anything is better) and carries the 6 bolt pattern that 90% of 4wds here have, perfect to swap a bung wheel, and lastly, more pumpkin clearance.

my wife keeps saying to sell the jeep and just get a patrol (now similar in price), more room, longer range for desert work etc.

but i seem to go everywhere now that every cruiser or patrol can get now with tiny 225 tyres....

Antiferet

I can't point you to a website, but I have done the pumpkin relocation in my own shop. If you want I can describe it to you, but I have no pics because I did it a long time ago.

Sorry mate. In the U.S. here we have three toyota carriers and two axles housings to choose from depending on model. The Hilux name was discontinued here early on when Toyota came out with the first 4x4 marketed here in 79. They have stayed with the same size 8" ring gear but made improvements. The 4 cylinder version is probably what you are familiar with. Then when they came out with the 3.0L six cylinder, they upgraded the carrier housing and put more strength in the ring and pinion gears, but it would still fit the same housing. These are more desirable for strength, and they also came out with a high pinion version in the front. When they came out with stronger V6s and V8s they went to the 8.25 version which had a stronger casting as well as a one piece bearing cap and stronger pinion shaft. It does however use the same carrier, and locker of course as the v6 model.

Ok so the V6 Hilux, we got those but unfortunately mostly in IFS guise but we didn't get the V8, to my knowledge the Hiluxs that the US got were different to what the rest of the world got.
The closest we would have to what you are referring to would be the 80 or 100 series Landcruiser.

Here in the states, the Land Cruiser uses the same diameter axle shafts, but a larger ring gear. Some of the later IFS land cruisers had the high pinion V6 carrier.

the hilux (i believe) can just be flipped over and the swivel joints realigned
(something to do with the front pinion spinning the other way) this would negate the major diff surgery. (please correct me if i am wrong).

i looked into doing a patrol conversion but not too confident about engineering the handbrake (hat and drum type that attaches to the rear of transfercase). gojeep here suggests cable operated trailer brakes instead but i don't know....... I would lose out also with pumpkin clearance.

thanks for the enlightening inputs so far (and hello junglejuice!).

Stu

Back