• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing Tie In Brackets

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
I have some front tie in brackets that a buddy of mine made me and I need to either remove the fender support braces to get them on or have him cut out a section for them to fit over. I would rather just remove the fender support braces.

Are the fender support braces really needed?

Also Any tips or anything on installing the tie in bracket on the drivers side?
Can I take out both steering bolts at the same time and everything? I have never messed with the steering box before.

Cut em out.
Rigidco actually includes this as a step to install the bulkhead setup.

As far as bolts, remove one at a time, and put some long screwdrivers in the holes so it doesn't fall out. It takes some patience to put the bolts back in.

just cut the tie in brackets so you can slip them in. the fenders need the support. as far as the bolts in the steering box, there are 3 and there is a spacer in between the body and the box. make sure to support the box when you remove the bolts. i didn't on mine and while it didn't/can't fall out, the input shaft seal did leak until it was bolted back in. hasn't leaked since, but why take the chance.

zedpapa

I just unbolted the support braces, slipped the tie-in plates underneath them, and then drilled and tapped the tie-in plates to accept the factory bolts. I think my plates were either 1/4" or 3/16" thick. I don't recall at the moment. Snug fit, but they went on fine.

They're probably not totally necessary, but I like the additional support they give the fenders. I figure Jeep must have put them on there for some reason. Additionally, your horns bolt on to the supports. If you remove them, you'll have to find another spot to mount them.

Also, I was just outside looking, I only have 2 steering bolts not 3. I have a 3rd hole after the 2 steering bolts right after the fender support brace.
Also, if I pull both the steering bolts out, will I have any trouble putting the plates on and lining the holes up with the steering bolts?

Also, I was just outside looking, I only have 2 steering bolts not 3. I have a 3rd hole after the 2 steering bolts right after the fender support brace.
Also, if I pull both the steering bolts out, will I have any trouble putting the plates on and lining the holes up with the steering bolts?
Then you need to install the 3rd one that has already fallen out!!!!!!!!

Yes,all 3 are the same.

Make sure you get Grade 8 bolts. Maybe a little LocTite would be a good idea as well if you've already had a bolt fall out.

I just put in a JCR bumper with tie in brackets, after speaking to them when I had the same question about the supports, I just cut enough of the support bracket ( about 1/4") off for the tie ins to slide in between the brackets and uni body. As far as the steer box bolts, you definitely need all three, and you can remove them all at the same time, but you will need someone to help you hold and move the steer box around to get them back in. Good Luck!

Anyone know if these are the right bolts? They are 7/16 coarse thread grade 8, but the threading is not much...need more threading or are these fine?
1006091310-00.jpg

Got a tape measure?How are we supposed to know the length you need?Theyre your brackets!

Should be fine. The only thing that's threaded are the mounting tabs on the steering box and they're only 3/4" thick.

Not trying to be an ass, but try threading one into the empty hole where the missing one is supposed to go. If you run out of thread before the bolt head hits bottom then your bolts are too long.

Ok now here is the wierd thing...... I went out there to try and thread one in the empty spot where there is suppose to be third one and it just goes all the way through..... its a big open hole.
Here is a pic of which one is missing.
Rigidco21sized.jpg

Again, That hole that is arrowed is missing a bolt and I tried to put a bolt in there...a 7/16" bolt and it just goes all the way through...maybe that one doesn't thread and needs a nut on the other side?

Ok now here is the wierd thing...... I went out there to try and thread one in the empty spot where there is suppose to be third one and it just goes all the way through..... its a big open hole.
Here is a pic of which one is missing.
Rigidco21sized.jpg

Again, That hole that is arrowed is missing a bolt and I tried to put a bolt in there...a 7/16" bolt and it just goes all the way through...maybe that one doesn't thread and needs a nut on the other side?

Thats not a steering box bolt!:wow:

Back