• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shifting Atlas 4 speed

4.3LXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi yall, I am just finishing putting in an Atlas 4 speed. I was having trouble shifting and found out that the rear axle must be engaged before the front can be engaged. So much for the famous front burn. Anybody know any tricks to pulling the shift rail cover off the back so I can remove the detent pins and remedy this?

The animation on this page show them shifting into front only. I'd call them and ask them about it.
http://www.atlas-tc.com/shiftguide.html

I did call them because when I was working on the linkage I couldn't shift the front in. They said it was set up to have to have the rear engaged before the front can be engaged. That means there is a detent pin in there to prevent that just like on the old D20s. The case is in and I don't want to have to pull it to get that pin out if I don't have to.

If you need front only in high range, then I don't think there is an easy option. You should be able to shift into low range with either axle independently.

I have no experience with the Atlas but judging by the animation, it appears like you need to lock in the rear wheels in low first, then lock in the fronts in low, then shift the rear to neutral...then just the fronts will be engaged.

Like I said, I have no experience with the Atlas but thats my take on it by watching the animation.

I have a 4 speed - I can shift into front-low starting with both sticks in neutral. High range requires the rear to be engaged already. I suppose they could have changed the design between his and mine, though.

I have no experience with the Atlas but judging by the animation, it appears like you need to lock in the rear wheels in low first, then lock in the fronts in low, then shift the rear to neutral...then just the fronts will be engaged.

Like I said, I have no experience with the Atlas but thats my take on it by watching the animation.

No, that is what mine does. I had a D20 once I had rigged up with twin sticks and got rid of the detent pins. I could shift any axle any time. It was real handy when backing down hills to shift the rear end out. Makes it much easier to control.

Back