• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear bumper and adding the C4x4 tire carrier

Rangerman28

NAXJA Forum User
Its time for a tire carrier and I love the C4x4 rear bumper and tire carrier. I salvaged a rear bumper with a tire carrier about a year ago that was on my uncles jeep which caught on fire and it isnt in the best shape so ive been debating for awhile if i want to just spend the cash on a new bumper and tire carrier or just referbish this old one.

Now I was looking at the C4x4 bumper and this one I have they look pretty identical. I was thinking if the bumpers were close enough I could just get the C4x4 tire carrier and install it on the bumper I have. I just need some opinions and if you actually have the bumper and can compare with the pictures then that would be great help.

Also if i need to put up some measurement I can.

DSC01675.jpg

DSC01676.jpg

heres where the tire carrier mounted to the bumper

DSC01677.jpg

and just so you guys can see the old tire carrier and see if i should just repair it

100_3710.jpg

Any input would be great! Thanks!

As your pics show,it wasnt built strong enough in the first place to carry a tire.Depending on your skills it could easily be straightened and beefed up!

that looks like stock brackets welded onto the bumper
Yeah it definately needs some real mounting points and some "boxing" to support a tire!

As your pics show,it wasnt built strong enough in the first place to carry a tire.Depending on your skills it could easily be straightened and beefed up!
Yeah I have no fabrication skills, but I'm willing to learn. What could I do to beef this up to get it ready for a tire?

that looks like stock brackets welded onto the bumper

Yeah I thought that too but wanst too sure

I woul start by boxing in the bumper or even adding some gussets behind where the tire latches in and where the hinge mounts. Them maybe make a new bracket for the hinge out of some 1/4". Then paint and you should be good.

it would be too much work for you to learn to weld, get a welder, become proficient in welding, get metal, repair/strengthen old craptastic bumper and all that goes with it. you would be better off buying a new bumper/tire carrier

Detours tailbone, no fab needed. Tools: ratchet, sockets, wrenches, drill, grinder w/cutting wheel

10318_811993825758_5719488_46331659_2654557_n.jpg

yeah ive been thinking about the detours tailbone but I think I want to go the whole 9 yards and get a beefier bumper along with the tire carrier but ill definetly keep the detours in mind since it would be easier on the wallet..

I dont think thats a true C4x4 bumper, looks like a copy. Unless it's extremely old, mine dates back to the 90's and it has several design differences.

Drop Mike from C4x4 an email, he is very helpfull.

I dont think thats a true C4x4 bumper, looks like a copy. Unless it's extremely old, mine dates back to the 90's and it has several design differences.

Drop Mike from C4x4 an email, he is very helpfull.

Yeah I figured it was just a look alike and Ill probably contact him sometime here soon.

I decided to try and bend the bracket back for the carrier and after two hits with a hammer it snapped off...

DSC01679.jpg

Back