• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can i paint over stock paintjob if im keeping the same color?

jbcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a 99 2D chilipepper red XJ. I love it. The color is perfect and I want to possibly rice up my paintjob a bit as it has taken a beating from the brush and trees I run through when I am "exploring" the new hampshire backcountry.

I found a guy on another forum selling a gallon of Chrysler Chilipepper red paint for 150 bucks and I am wondering if thats going to be a good deal.

I have access to a spray painter but I have zero experience painting and have no idea what to do.

Can I just put another coat of paint over my current paintjob then more clear or is more prep work required (i.e. stripping stock paint).

If you don't know what you are doing or have someone with experience walking you through things step by step, I would not attempt it. I painted my first car in 1967. There are so many ways to screw it up and only one way to really do it right. The price on the paint isn't any big bargin. Remember you need reducer and activator, as well as clean up solvents. Any more I wouldn't paint with out a clear coat. What type of paint is it? Dupont? Acrylic Enamel? Multi-stage? What type of gun do you have available? How big is your compressor? Do you have a dehumidifier/water trap?

Where are you going to shoot it?

The amount of work envolved is surprising. Remember you also need to do the door jambs, door frames, under hood, etc. If the existing paint is good, never strip it off unless you want to triple the work and expense.

mmm see this is why i go to forums first.

Well I was basically just trying to touch up the semi-scratched paint i currently have not knowing how much work would be involved.

Well thanks to your advice i might just keep it stock for awhile and save up to let the pros do it

If the scratches are not too deep, have a good body shop detailer wet sand and high speed buff it. You will be surprised how much stuff will come out that way.

if you're just going to scratch it again, swing by the dealer and pick up so spray touch-up in chillipepper -- that's what I do (chillipepper too), and it covers well.

Well good new is, you CAN use your existing painjob as a base. So long as it's not pitted/rusting/peeling/cracked.

The bad news is - if you have no idea what you're doing DON'T even attempt it.

Here's a quick runthrough...

-scuff existing paintjob
-do any bodywork
-high build primer
-lay down a sealer
-paint
-clear coat
-wet sand
-polish

If only it were so easy... The paint costs only $150... but after all the other materials, you're looking at around $750-1k.

red is one of the most expensive colors there is. and if you are sticking with the same color, you do not have to do the door jambs or engine compartment, follow danman2k06 instructions and buy a few body work books and read and then if you want to try to spray it i say go for it

Back