• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electronic repair manual (?)

idahjo

NAXJA Forum User
I purchased a CD with the XJ OEM manual on it for my 1998 Cherokee. I am looking for material on the front axle 'U' joint replacement. I can find EVERYTHING else, but not what I am looking for. If it is in here what category is it under? ...I must be overlooking it.
Thanks

Thanks Guys. I can always count on help here, appreciate it.
I KNEW it had to be here somewhere but (&%^*#) couldn't seem to come up with it!
This is something I have not yet had the pleasure of doing on my rig.
While asking questions, are the strange-looking bolts holding the hub bearing plate a special socket or a 12-point metric?
Thanks again, best...

Use a 12 point 13mm socket. Soak the seam where the bearing meets the knuckle real good with penetrating oil. I keep a few 'sacrificial' bolts to beat on, so as not to ruin the originals. Remove the original bolts, install the beaters, and tap them and the perimeter with a BFH, and it SHOULD come loose. When I reassemble mine, I put a dab of anti-seize on my finger, and massage it into the knuckle's mounting surface. Not enough to drip or ooze, but almost dry. While you're at it, think new unit bearing. Murphy's Law dictates that as soon as you're happy with the u-joints, the bearings will start laughing at you. Ask me how I know (more than twice!).......

Back