• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 rear brake tech?? Hardly!

AzRick

NAXJA Forum User
My rear drums have given me problems for a long time now. For the second time in as many years, I pulled the drums and pieces fell out. This time I think it was caused by axle seal leakage onto the drums (from being on my side too many times) which caused the shoes to fall apart, taking other pieces with it. Also, they were quite rusty and nasty inside (mud and crap). They really haven't worked at all for at least the last 6 months.

With the JV trip coming up and my budget tight, I really can't afford to rebuild them completely (I would need EVERYTHING, including drums).

A disc brake swap would be cool, but again I don't have the cash.

I want to just gut the rear brakes for the trip to JV. My question is...does anyone see a problem with this (other than stopping power, which I haven't had for a long time)?? Should I just gut the insides and keep the drums on, or could I ditch those too?? (that would save me about 20 pounds of unsprung weight :D )

More importantly...how would I plug the brake line? I've looked in the past for a plug to install at the prop valve in case of brake line failure, but couldn't find anything that would fit.

Any help/info/ridicule you can provide would be much appreciated :D

Oh ya.....this is on a trailer queen that will never see street time, and barely makes it over 40mph (I cant really pedal that fast).......so don't waste your time telling how dangerous, stupid, etc this would be because I won't be able to stop. Again, they haven't worked at all in a long time.

Thanks

Rick

Hey rick. I think you might beable to figure a way out to plug it at the proportion block. I dont know of a safe way to do it in the drum itself. If you keep the wheel cylinders, you need to have somewhat of a working brake system. I would say maybe undo the hard line to the rear at the block and put a pipe fitting plug in its spot.

Oh... and I WONT be riding with you or behind you this trip. :flame:

If you're behind me and I can't stop, you'll get to see the carnage.

If you're in front of me and I cant stop..........................

Rick

Back