• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New wicked LED lighting hotness

DieselSJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just picked up Rigid Industries as a sponsor. Can't wait to get these things mounted up on the new chassis...

RGDL30-2.jpg

RGDL50-3.jpg

No more big HIDs blocking the radiator, and no more huge light bar setup (nearly 80 lbs with lights/ballasts/tubing) on the roof. These things are low and sleek, have a better light pattern and draw way less current than an HID.

and they are right in mesa too, that's awesome. I would love to see one of those bars lit up at night. they are blinding on a phoenix sunny day!

Wow those gave me a chubby until I saw the 1000$ price tag

Actually the 50" he posted is 1.6k
The 30 inch is 1k :(

Go price some quality (not the harbor freight or kragen specials) HIDs. I don't think I've seen a Hella HID light for less than $600, and we run 6 of those - 4 on the roof and 2 up front and we still want more light. You can get more light for less overall $$ with the LED. They only seem expensive until you compare them to an equivalent light source. http://www.realtruck.com/hella_rallye_4000_xenon_hid_driving_lights/R141407P1C1T.html

Our plan is to run a single 50" on top (which is more light output than 5 HID), a 20" amber on the front for cutting through dust, and a 4" with a flood pattern in each headlight bucket. It is going to cut our power load for lighting from over 100 amps (HID draw between 15a and 20a each) to about 60 amps. That takes a huge load off the alternator. Plus we are saving about 50lbs (most at roof level), and we are going to have more usable light than we had before.

You would be amazed at the output of these lights. Two 4" on your roof will give you better light than 4 KC Daylighters. And they only take a fraction of the power.

And you need to see the testing videos on youtube. Search for Rigid Ballistic testing. The durability test should be up there too. A HID could not take any of that abuse (shoot a HID with a rifle and see if it still works...).

Last edited:
I understand now.
Background: So I am getting my headlights upgraded to HID's (I'm not a Jeepspeeder, but like to go fast). I'll also be doing some trails at night. I will be getting a winch bumper and roof rack eventually.

Question: Would I need 2 4'' LED strips (or 6'') on the bumper AND two on the roof? Would it be better to have amber on the bumper and white on the roof?

Needless to say one day I hope to go as fast as you guys, but not anytime soon, but I am following the "if you're going to do it, do it right the first time" mentality (which my wallet hates).

Go price some quality (not the harbor freight or kragen specials) HIDs. I don't think I've seen a Hella HID light for less than $600, and we run 6 of those - 4 on the roof and 2 up front and we still want more light. You can get more light for less overall $$ with the LED. They only seem expensive until you compare them to an equivalent light source. http://www.realtruck.com/hella_rallye_4000_xenon_hid_driving_lights/R141407P1C1T.html

Our plan is to run a single 50" on top (which is more light output than 5 HID), a 20" amber on the front for cutting through dust, and a 4" with a flood pattern in each headlight bucket. It is going to cut our power load for lighting from over 100 amps (HID draw between 15a and 20a each) to about 60 amps. That takes a huge load off the alternator. Plus we are saving about 50lbs (most at roof level), and we are going to have more usable light than we had before.

You would be amazed at the output of these lights. Two 4" on your roof will give you better light than 4 KC Daylighters. And they only take a fraction of the power.

And you need to see the testing videos on youtube. Search for Rigid Ballistic testing. The durability test should be up there too. A HID could not take any of that abuse (shoot a HID with a rifle and see if it still works...).

A single Hella Rally 5000 HID consumes about 12 amps (peak; about 2 seconds) at startup, then over a longer period of time (about 30 seconds) slowly reduces to roughly 3.0-3.5 amps (steady-state). Most of the time these lights are used in pairs, thus the current load doubles, and using a 20 amp circuit breaker would be sufficient.

So with 6 HIDs, your total current load would be around 20 amps. If you were to turn all 6 on at the same time the peak load would be around 72 amps. If you took the ballast out of the equation, 55W divided by 12V = 4.58 amps each. Most charging systems should run at around 13.7V so that will lessen your amp load that much more.

That 50" LED light bar will draw almost 16amps, but the difference is no start up peak. You're not going to gain all that much for your charging system.

With all that said, those lights are truly Bad A$$...I'm jealous...and I want them.

-Dan

i want the 36 LED back up light bulb
I would never have a problem backing up at night
any thoughts?, anybody have them?

clear1x1.gif
1156 LED Bulb with 36 LEDS. Ideal for whips, motorcycle marking lights, and other automotive applications. Please specify color. Comes in Red, Blue, Green, White, and Yellow. 360 degree coverage. Price is $9.99 per bulb.
115636LED-2.jpg

any pics of those bulbs in use? i could be interested in a set.

Its a G for one of those things?!?!

I was about to go out and get one?!

They are absolutely incredible to see in person. i was at a local shop (SDHQ) with my father while he was in town. he is kinda into LED lighting, mostly under-car stuff for his restos. I wanted to show him what can be done with LEDs so i asked if they had a set on display. they had a rhino outside with a few LED strips, but i don't think they were Rigid's. Anyway, the girl fired the rhino and flipped on these lights. it was a sunny phoenix day in the early afternoon, you would almost notice a standard headlight. My father was looking right at them when she hit the switch. He actually said "OW!" turned to the side and bent over to get out of the beam. he was impressed, and it takes a lot to impress that former biker bar owner :D

Personally at that price they probably won't be on my rig anytime soon. the big bar is twice what i paid for my xj. But for serious lighting needs and racing they are incredible. I've seen the Rigids in person on the rigs in Campbell's shop, but not lit up. they were repairing some parts on that rig after KOH, but the LED bar still looked brandy new and well made. those guys loved it. If i had hardcore lighting needs i wouldn't consider anything else after seeing a few different applications of these.

I'm dying to get in something with these to see how the work at night.

These things are like religion, once someone "converts" they spend the rest of their time trying to "enlighten" their friends.

wait a second, what am i doing...i'm not the sponsored guy!!!!! :laugh:

Last edited:
i want the 36 LED back up light bulb
I would never have a problem backing up at night
any thoughts?, anybody have them?

clear1x1.gif
1156 LED Bulb with 36 LEDS. Ideal for whips, motorcycle marking lights, and other automotive applications. Please specify color. Comes in Red, Blue, Green, White, and Yellow. 360 degree coverage. Price is $9.99 per bulb.
115636LED-2.jpg
Those bulbs actually don't work as well as you'd think. I ran a set once for blinkers and backups, took them right out. Super focused and didn't look good at all.

Those bulbs actually don't work as well as you'd think. I ran a set once for blinkers and backups, took them right out. Super focused and didn't look good at all.

Yeah, they may be LED's but not all LED's are the same. The way they are built makes the biggest difference.

Yup. Those are great for like the end of a flag, but not in a tail light or marker light. Rigid has a new setup that is a replacement for the 1156 bulbs that is based on the same technology as their light bar and they work awesome in a tail light or marker light. They just don't have it up on their website yet. It is a board mounted setup that looks a lot like their interior RV lamps.

EDIT - found a pic they sent me - don't know the price though.
RGDRVLED-3.jpg

Last edited:
thank for the input, i wont waste my money especially since its in short supply. But those boards look good, would you need to gut the tail light to put it in?
gust looked at the website, pricey $25 for ONE! take a look

Last edited:
Back