• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 2wd AW4 into a 87 4wd?

tooofast

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, i did a search but could not seem to find this covered so though it would be ok to post.

I have a 87 two door that i just got that's a little battered and has no interior but still runs great. To make a long story short my neighbor just sold me their 98 four door, 2wd Sport after a front end crash (for 200 bucks) so i have the motor, trans and all the interior i need and was thinking of doing a motor swap this winter.

With that said i wanted to know were there any differences between the AW4 auto transmissions in the 2wd xj's and the ones in the 4wd version? I think the NP231 had a different spline count also but im not sure.

Any info you have on this would be great and thanks in advance for you help

Dave!

The 2wd trans can be converted to 4wd, but it is time consuming and expensive. At the least, you need to swap out the main output shaft(requires trans dis-assembly) and get a transfer case adapter housing to replace the tail shaft housing.

Probably better to trade it /sell it to someone who wants the 2WD, and get a 4WD trans.

oh bummer.. well i guess it was not such a great deal after all then. I was hoping it was the same trans with a tail shaft bolted on but never mind... Thanks SO MUCH for the info and I'll keep my eyes out for a 4wd trans and have it in hand before i start the project!

Cheers
Dave

Best bet would be to find a AW4/T-case combo.

Actually not that difficult at all. I did the same modification myself. For what you picked the entire vehicle up for, it should still work out as a deal for you. First you need to decide what kind of transfer case you want (NP 231J, Atlas, etc.). The stock NP 231 J that should be in your Cherokee works just fine. Take the transmission to a trans shop and tell them what you are doing. What needs to be removed is the tail housing on the transmission and replace with a 4 wd adapter (you can probably find this online or in a local junkyard) and replace the output shaft (I recommend new). Then put it all together. Any privately owned trans shop can do this.

Depending on the price of the materials needed, you should come out just fine.

Good luck.

KJ

Actually not that difficult at all. I did the same modification myself. For what you picked the entire vehicle up for, it should still work out as a deal for you. First you need to decide what kind of transfer case you want (NP 231J, Atlas, etc.). The stock NP 231 J that should be in your Cherokee works just fine. Take the transmission to a trans shop and tell them what you are doing. What needs to be removed is the tail housing on the transmission and replace with a 4 wd adapter (you can probably find this online or in a local junkyard) and replace the output shaft (I recommend new). Then put it all together. Any privately owned trans shop can do this.

Depending on the price of the materials needed, you should come out just fine.

Good luck.

KJ
Are you serious,you have to rebuild the entire trans,the output shaft is the first thing that goes in!

No, you don't have to rebuild the entire transmission, but depending on age and the condition of the transmission, then it might not be a bad idea. The only difference between the AW 4 2 2wd and the 4wd is the tail shaft housing. The 2wd has the extended housing, the 4wd does not. The 4wd has a different output shaft. There is an adapter for the transmission to the transfer case. You don't really have to rebuild the transmission, but if you are not comfortable taking it apart and putting it back together with the different output shaft, then find a trans shop that is willing to do it for you. Should not cost too much, maybe somewhere around $200 - 300.

When I did mine, I had it rebuilt. But to be honest, you can find a new AW 4 on Discountjeepparts.com for less than a full rebuild. But then when I has mine rebuilt, I had it beefed up a bit.

Talk to some of the trans shops around. Stay away from Maaco, and the larger shops. Find someone that does custom work and is into racing.

There are some good shops around here. I am sure Phoenix has some too.

Good luck.

KJ

Back