• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Have to vent...

Anthropy

NAXJA Forum User
I got my truck back after hours from my local garage. Tonight I took out the cardboard I had in the back protecting my carpet from the grease on the new springs I had them put on (new springs and shocks)

Well, it turns out that they got a little carried away with the heat getting the upper nuts off of the rear shocks on one side and burned a hole up through the uni-body into the rear compartment big enough that I can stick my little finger through and melted about a 10 inch circle of carpeting in the area. The cardboard has a nice burn mark on it as well.

Luckily they did not set my truck on fire more than burning the carpet. I am glad that nothing more flamable was sitting right over the spot or else it would have been very interesting for them.

Seems to me if they used enough heat to burn through the body (I am reading that right...a hole through the body?) then they owe you some repairs.

Rev

Yep, sure is a hole through the outside to the inside. Unfortunately, I have to catch a red eye flight to go to Cleveland tomorrow and will not get back until late Thursday.

This shop owes you - if they give you any grief whatsoever when you get back and explain the damage they've done, simply sue them in small claims court.

that or report them to the Better Business Bureau

Do both the BBB is definately a good resource for disgruntled consumers.

but, the point is, they have caused damage to your vehicle - they have lowered the value of your vehicle.

I assume at the very least, you won't have to pay the bill for your rear shock installation - but I would also request in writing that the vehicle's rear cargo area must repaired to the condition it was in prior to you bringing the vehicle there.

Tough to prove how much damage ($$) they caused in court, but a judge can certainly order the garage to repair it to your satisfaction.

BBB is a joke.

Sorry...but going to the BBB is useless and a waste of time.

My bet is if you approach them in a calm polite manner, they will be happy to work with you towards restitution.

Rev

Pictures pictures pictures!

document EVERYTHING, especially why you aren't going striaight back to the shop with the jeep, retain airline stubs.......EVERYTHING,.

Then approch them nicely, they should be apologetic and forthcoming with the repairs. If not.......you know what to do.

Rev Den said:
BBB is a joke.

Sorry...but going to the BBB is useless and a waste of time.

My bet is if you approach them in a calm polite manner, they will be happy to work with you towards restitution.

Rev
X2 plus the California Bureau of Auto Repair and all the agencies. Nobody will give you money back, just BS until you go away.

Unless....it is worth paying for a lawyer and court time.

Oh I called them when I got to my destination. My mechanic was very apologetic about the hole and carpet. Without me saying what I wanted done, he told me that he needed the Jeep back to fix the hole and get replacement carpet.

The melted carpet is very hard to tell when looking at it, but when you run your hand over it, you can tell it has been melted.

Back