• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 Skid Row Skid on 99--Possible problems?

mflueras

NAXJA Forum User
A friend of mine with a 95 XJ recently went to a fuel cell and gave me his skid row gas tank skid plate. Neither he nor I realized that Skid Row makes a different style of gas skid for the 97-01 so the plate wasn't supposed to fit. Well, I jacked it up in place with my ATV jack just to check and although it was a tight fit I was able to get the plate bolted up. I am sure it is touching the tank on the bottom and it's sort of chocking off the tank straps but it fits. What potential problems you guys think I'll run into with this setup. Is anyone else running a similar setup?

I have the skid row tank skid on my 98 if it is touching anything if you land hard on a rock or something you could break the tank straps or smash gas tank.Why don't you call skid row and ask them they about it.

Does the skid on your 98 snug up to the tank? Does it touch the bottom if the tank at all? Right now mine is so snug that if the tank straps did break the tank probably would not move.

I did the opposite... 01 on a 91. It worked but fits REAL tight. I have the metal tank and actually bent the "seam" in the middle of the tank down to gain the bit of room i needed on the sides. Also the mounts that bolt to the "frame" rails did not line up just right. I had some angle iron and cut that which runs from... i think the 3rd and 4th bolt on the nut strap back to the last Tab on the skid. So the tab on the skid (the one toward the front) actually has no bolt in it. It's about 1.5" closer to the rear. Its tight up there! O ya....i had to cut a small section out of the skid b/c it was hitting my 8.25 Ruffstuff diffcover.

HTH

good idea, but...mine's mounted and cut for the diff cover. you prob. dont want it now? Have u mounted it yet? Will you post pics? I would like to see the difference in the 2. I might trade but youd have to bring that one to me. Not trying to screw you but i'm pretty sure mine's is in good working condition as yours prob. would or is also.

PM so i dont forget!

thanks!

Anything?

Back