• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Button Questions

dwane4.0

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 1988 Jeep XJ Laredo for $300 fully loaded. It has the built in car phone, sunroof, power windows and doors, towing package...

This is my first time owning a Jeep ever and I have two questions that may seem stupid, but since it didn't come with the manual, it isn't:

1.) I don't know if the stock 88 XJ came with fog lights, but this one has those too. I tried finding the fog light button myself, but can't find it. So, how do I make the fog lights work assuming that they are still 100% functional?

2.) Ehh not much of a need to know, but what does the transmission button do? It's to the right of the steering wheel with a picture of a transmission with the setting "comfort" and "power".

Thanks.

trans button changes shift points, power is kinda jerky IMHO.

there should be a fog light switch near the trans switch, but on the other side of the steering column.

no switch = no harness.
do they plug into a harness up front? maybe someone swaped on a differant bumper? one that had fog lights?

trans button changes shift points, power is kinda jerky IMHO. if everything is functioning correctly, it should shift just like the later models in power- when Chryco did away with the switch, they programmed it to automatically shift in power mode.

there should be a fog light switch near the trans switch, but on the other side of the steering column.

no switch = no harness. In '88 the fog lamp harness is included under the dash whether it came with fogs or not-- under hood seems to be more "hit-or-miss"
do they plug into a harness up front? maybe someone swaped on a differant bumper? one that had fog lights?

No. 1988's cell phone was 10 inches tall, weighed almost 2 pounds, and cost over $4000 - no listing on factory options for cell phone either.

Your phone is NOT factory so, quite possibly your fog lights are not either.

Factory fog light switch is to the left of the steering column - if it came with them.

Thanks. I found the fog light button. It was that "non functioning" switch when I pushed every button possible when I cleaned it out when I got it. I guess the bulbs are dead, so I have to go buy new ones.

Hmm after looking at pictures of the older car phones, the one in this Jeep does look after market. The box under the back passenger seat is a little smaller than this: http://www.mobilegazette.com/motorola-4500x.htm

I'll post pictures of the car phone setup probably tomorrow. It's missing the phone though. And the fog lights are KC, which is too nice to be stock.

Back