• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ideas On Making My XJ More Streetable

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a little bit of money that I was going to use to buy a car from my buddy to drive everyday and park my jeep from DD'ing duty, but he ended up not wanting to sell it now, so now I want to spend the money making my jeep more streetable....whatever that means. I have a 4.5" lift, 33's, 4:10's, Long arms, new draglink, new tie rods with new rod ends. I just bought some new sway bar bushings from autozone today and installed them, but I haven't driven it yet. I just want to make my jeep a bit more enjoyable to drive.

theres nothing in your post that say 'un street friendly'... if it was beadlocks, full widths, and baja claws, i'd be one thing...

chances are your talking about bumpsteer or death wobble?

Yeah I was thinking the same thing... It sounds like a decent setup to me, a moderate lift height with
long arms. What kind of issues do you have that make it less streetable ? Vibes? are you running a heavy
Mud Tire on steel wheels? How stiff are your leafs and coils? you could go with a softer susp and run AT's
with AL wheels... that outta make it ride a bit nicer. Maybe add a bit of soundproofing to the interior if
the noise gets to ya.

Are you willing to give up trail ability for street ability?

IMHO a lifted XJ is never gonna be a great daily driver - sure it's do-able but probably not exactly enjoyable.
depends how far you have to drive it everyday I guess.

I drove my 99 on 35's as a DD from 03 to 07 - I had a fairly long commute at times and it got old real quick.

If it were me, (and it was a few years ago) I'd be looking for another DD and keep the built XJ as a trail rig that
you can drive on the street but don't have to everyday.

Last edited:
Are you running swampers or something?

I've got the RE SF 4.5" kit w/short arms, OME shocks, 32" Kumho KL71's, 4.56's, no-slip in the rear, and Currie steering. It's been my only vehicle since my Cobra's engine blew back in June. I drive 60 miles a day, mostly highway, and really don't have any problems doing it, other than gas mileage and tire wear. With the longarms, your XJ should ride better than mine and be perfectly fine for DD duty.

Granted, driving it everyday is boring as hell, but I have to do it. The Cobra motor should be rebuilt soon and then I probably won't drive the jeep for 6 months lol.

I am running 33x12.50x15 BFG AT's.
No vibes. motor runs good. I think it's more of a steering, front end issue. Running the new poly sway bar bushings has really helped with the handling. I still feel like something is missing in the front end...not literally, but something that needs to be addressed. I went through all the bolts and re tightened them all. I plan on getting a professional alignment tomorrow and will see how it does after that.
I also plan on ordering some JCR tie in brackets to try and stiffen up the front end a little more, as I feel that is what it's lacking.

Are you running a stabilizer?

What kind of shape is your steering gear in?

What is the exact problem you are having? Is it DW when you hit a bump, does it wander on the highway? Are you getting bumpsteer?

I am running at about 4 1/2" lift, 33" Toyo MT's, 1T OTK steering, over the axle TB, no sway bars, Stock arms w/o Drop Brackets, no SS, 2" blocks in the rear and rear leaves that are about to grenade and I think my jeep drives better than our ford Crapstar van. It does pull a little to the right but never got it aligned after I did the steering.

If you are going for the streetable in the fun to drive kinda way then build a stroker. Best mod evar... next to a built V-8.

Parakeet

Well today After class I went to get my Jeep aligned. I was so surprised when I got in it how much better it felt. Everything feels SO solid now. no bumpsteer. I tried to hit every pothole and every bump in the road and it felt great. It's unreal to me that all that could be cured with a decent alignment. I had about 3" of toe out when I brought it in........... I still don't know how that happened.

Back