• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Home brew quarter pannel guards

jeepfreak1020

NAXJA Forum User
So im getting ready to make some quarter pannel guards tomorrow at my shop. I have all the measurements and everything. I have my temp and 10 ga steel. My question is what should i use to mount them to the jeep. Ive read through a few threads and people talk about counter sinking tapered heads with a large drill bit and drill press. What is that? can anyone explain that to me? How do THORs mount to the jeep? Ive also heard people talk about finding a large telephone pole, placing the guards vertically and with a ratchet strap and a rubber blow hammer forming them to the contour. What do they mean by this as well?

And my last question, should i make the guards a little bit longer, so they cover the sides of the tail lights? Like this
IMG_0697-1.jpg

I like that. I may just look into that.

What could i use to eal around the holes if i bolt them on? and around the sides to so no watter gets between the pannels and my body and causes rust?

I like that. I may just look into that.

What could i use to eal around the holes if i bolt them on? and around the sides to so no watter gets between the pannels and my body and causes rust?

you'll probably never be able to seal enough to keep the moisture out, but you will seal the moisture in. I only sealed around the bolts and holes to keep the moisure away from the freshly driled holes... Imo, Leave the rest of the panel open to breath.

Ive read through a few threads and people talk about counter sinking tapered heads with a large drill bit and drill press. What is that? can anyone explain that to me?

Ive also heard people talk about finding a large telephone pole, placing the guards vertically and with a ratchet strap and a rubber blow hammer forming them to the contour. Wha

t do they mean by this as well?

Question 1. I assume (although slightly concerned now about the outcome of your project) that you are asking what a "countersink" is?

You drill the hole to the proper size to allow the bolt to pass through, then you use a countersink (or a much larger drill bit sometimes works, although not as well) to taper the hole so that the head of the tapered bolt will sit flush or close to flush with the sheetmetal.

Here is a countersink.

4flute-countersink-ren50.jpg

Here is a counter sunk hole

countersunk_spindles2.jpg

Question 2

If you look at the side of the rear quarter panel, it is not perfectly flat. People use a telephone pole to shape the guards to fit the contour of the rear quarter panel. You can used anything that has a large diameter ( A big barrel, or large propane tank...) to help 'roll' the gaurd to match the shape of the jeep. Thats all they are saying.

Dont read into it all too much. Its a pretty simple process, although there are many ways to do it, and many levels of professional results you can get depending on ability.

Good luck, post lots of pictures. :gee:

~James

Last edited:
Back