• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Daystar Poly Bushing Kit Install Question :)

XJ4Christ

NAXJA Forum User
I thought I might drop this here. I am still using OEM Swaybar and link etc, but upgrading the rubber to poly so if this still needs in the OEM section I applogize.

I am looking for some info on Daystar poly bushings (specifically ones for front swaybar installation). I took mine off and throwing it back together (directions that come with them suck and dont tell you anything aside for what to grease lol) I am finding that the poly bushings are too big and dont allow the swaybar to fit like the original rubber ones that were "pre shaped." The problem is that they wont allow me to get the nut back on. I also have 4 silver washers that I have no clue what they are to be used for.. maybe another vehicle application dont know.

Has anyone installed this kit on their rig and if so any links of directions or advice etc? I plan to get a adjustable swaybar link (which should take care of this problem anyways) when I can afford it, but for now I was just trying to rebuild it. The bottom part of the link went in easy and good and so did the parts on the swaybar itself. If it were not for the top part of the link bushings not working right this would have been easy job :(.

Are they the cupped washers that are supposed to support the bushings, that if used will only make it that much harder to get the nut on? Maybe try using 3 bushings at first and torque it down and then loosen up again and throw in the 4th? I'm about to daystar my front end up cause the DW has finallly landed.

Well on one swaybar link where it connects to the swaybar I have the following parts one sort of cuped washer and a bushing, then the swaybar. Then i have second bushing and then cuped washer and then nut. The bushings seem to be too big and or my swaybar (angle of it wont allow for me to get the second bushing and the cuped washer on).. not enough thread with the swaybar angle. My old rubber bushings were sort of shaped to the swaybar angle if that makes sence.. these are not. I also have 2 extra regular small washers for each side which I have no clue what they are for :). My kit came for the MJ, XJ 2wd and 4wd so maybe the MJ or later model XJ need them (mine is a 1990).

Can you take a poly bushing on a sander and shape it to same angle as the old rubber ones maybe?

I will try to take a pic of it and see if it can help get some ideas. I guess i can take off the top bushing and torque it down and see what happens... I just figured I would have more play in it so I could easily disconnect it if I wanted the extra flex like I used to do (undo the nut and rotates off easily). I might just be better off and just buy the adjustable quick disconnect link when I get some funds and just shine getting this stock one to work for now, although a friend of mine just got the same kit for his 2000 model XJ and he might have same issue when I help him do his... have to see :).

Last edited:
Post some pics, I did my daystar poly bushing a few weekends ago and had no problem with the end link bushing. They fit perfect and my bushings were flat on one end and had a step on the other end. Also, are you pushing the bottom end link bushing all the way down? I had to work mine a bit to get it to slide all the way down.

I also had no clue what those washer were for, I had nothing like them that I took off so I didn't use them.

Make sure you grease them a Lot, I thought I used a lot of grease and I have minor squeaking now. I wish I would have used the entire tube...

The daystar bushing sets come in different sizes, at least for the swaybar bushings. The kits range from 23mm to like 28mm......

The daystar bushing sets come in different sizes, at least for the swaybar bushings. The kits range from 23mm to like 28mm......

Yea I was going on the assumption he had the correct size. I also thought the sizes were for the two front bushings not the end links.

Yea I was going on the assumption he had the correct size. I also thought the sizes were for the two front bushings not the end links.

I agree with you, I think those measurements are for the bar diameter, however, a with the thicker bar do you end up with a thicker ends, or are they all finished to the same size?

Mine is a 24 mm kit and the sizes from what I understand are for the two front bushings on the bar as they are different in size (I think my friend on his 2000 had a size smaller bar. Ok I am going to go take some pics and get them on tonight.

My friend said with my lift that the bar might be at a different angle and cause the poly bushings to not want to work. This might make sence if the bushings are sort of tight to fit anyways with a normal angle. If that is the case I might use the old rubber with the poly bushings until i get an adjustable quick release setup. My old link was rubbing against the springs at times before I put the poly bushings on. Pics coming up :)...

well I cant post any pics cause my main computer that i use for photobucket will not bring up pics I took (computer needs to be fixed). This computer is too old and it isnt compatable with photobucket, plus the only link to download my camera is on the other computer etc... :(.

Back