• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock advice with bpe

luskiiimj

NAXJA Forum User
I've got bpe's for the front lower and rear upper mounts. They are the Rocky Road ones. I'm thinking about getting some bilstein 5100s but I'm not sure which ones to get. The RR bpes lose me about an inch or two in compression, but I get some of that back with about a two inch lift. I also would like to get shocks without the damn bar pin in them so that I don't have to remove it. Any experts around, or anybody know who is good to order from when you need something not quite stock?

I had BPE's in the rear and I went back to bar pins because I needed that extra 1 1/2" of travel. I have Bilstein 5125's on the rear and they are for a different application than the cherokee. They are suitable for about 7" of lift and I have about 5.5-6" so they are actually too long. I have it bumpstopped to prevent bottoming but I would like that travel back for hitting the whoops in the desert. With BPE's you only need to know what the compressed and extended lengths need to be and you can order some shocks to match.

I used these bushings with gabriel ultra's for stock XJ (I also have Rocky Road bpe's).

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/proddetail.asp?prod=9.8141

http://www.monroe.com/catalog/documents/08_MountingLengthSheet.pdf

I have a 98 with 2" lift.

I had a local machine shop press them in as I am bare-bones with tools. Removing the bar pin: cut one end of the bar pin off with a dremel and then use a BFH and a 4x4 piece of wood to punch it out

Monroe has a sensa-trac mono-tube shock that will work (for the front-did not research the rear) and that has a rubber bushing (no bar pin installed) that has the correct id for the RR bpe sleeve. I can't remember the p/n but I have a pair. I don't like the sensa-trac though. Too soft for pounding concrete curbs. So I put the gabe's back on and the sensa's are collecting dust.
Bilstein has a front and rear shock that will fit a 2" lift, albeit w/ no bpe's.

disclaimer: I am amateur and have been drinking and smoking while posting this :smoker:

Back