• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ Prerunner Thread

Philprof

NAXJA Forum User
I would like to build a jeepspeed MJ. What would you do for:

1. LWB or SWB
2. Engine (add-ons, size, or swap?)
3. 2wd or 4wd
4. Axles/gearing
5. Suspension

lets also say your budget is $5k with truck already purchased (you choose the year model, etc).

just looking for opinions and preferences here.

Also, are the rules different for MJs when compared to XJs

thanks in advance.

I would like to build a jeepspeed MJ. What would you do for:

1. LWB or SWB
2. Engine (add-ons, size, or swap?)
3. 2wd or 4wd
4. Axles/gearing
5. Suspension

lets also say your budget is $5k with truck already purchased (you choose the year model, etc).

just looking for opinions and preferences here.

Also, are the rules different for MJs when compared to XJs

thanks in advance.

I think most of your questions depend on what class you want to run in. 1700?
Billy

How good are your fabrication/welding skills? That will kind of shape where you should be allocating the 5K. Your first priority should probably be reinforcing the chassis, trussing axles, gusseting etc. Tripple bypass shocks are useless if you're twisting up your chassis.

I recently got a rough quote for installing a competition cage in a Cherokee. 1800.00 - 2200.00 for the basic safety cage, shop doing all the work. Suspension tie in, engine cage, bumpers, etc. not included. If you're planning to farm it all out, you're probably going to have to double or triple your budget(sorry,..)
Might want to check here to see what all get's put into a Jeepspeed runner:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1002485&highlight=jeepspeed+kit
Of course you don't need to buy it all new, but it gives you an idea of the parts and the cost.
Also, I don't think they let you run the MJ in Jeepspeed 1700. You'd have to run 3700. And I think there's a restriction on the LWB there too.

tbburg , affirmative. Jeepspeed 1 or class 1700 is limited to a 98" wheelbase I believe,so the MJ, at 113" for a shortbed,would race in JS 3 / class 3700. It's been awhile since I read the JS rules but the longbed has a 120" WB. If you get creative, be patient and shop for used parts, and get peaple to help you may get pretty far with 5K. 2WD would be cheaper I think , 4wd would only be needed for silt bed's and technical sections, many trucks race w/2wd.

Sooo...its "Jeepspeed", not "Cheapspeed" :dunce::rtm:

Thanks for the responses and clarification...I wouldn't thing that a SWB MJ would have that much of an advantage over an XJ and the like...

The T&J package is a little steep.

I would do an XJ if I didn't already own one. I'd like something to pre-run, haul dirtbikes, and occasionally race...

prerunner = non race, especially at $5k,

if you think its too expensive, IT IS!

EDIT: just saw your welding comment, it FOR SURE aint gonna happen that cheaply having a shop do it

Alot of peaple double and triple the origanal budget for their builds. Starting with a prerunner is a good idea though, and you can still have fun. Just MHO,an MJ would be a cool truck to build.

5k is a tight buget............your not going to build a Jeepspeed class winner but you should have a finsher. I'm building one now, $1500 for the suspension kit, $1000 for springs, $2000 for shocks and bumps (and that cheap ones), $400 seats $600 fuel cell, $200 for stock 2wd front end, $300 Ford 8.8 Explorer rear end, $900 for cage DOM tubing and that just the big costs. Thats not including a rear end (full race ford 9" $2000 and $5000). Im going with a Explorer 8.8 to start then building a 9' after i get some seat time. Im doing everthing myself and the cost is starting to get crazy already. Im not saying you cant be done, its just not going to be easy. Get the seat time then spend more to go faster. And you better learn to do most of this your self. Good luck on your build.

welding classes will teach you techniques, but nothing works like practice

the welding course i took at HIWT (hobart institute of welding technology) was almost 72 hours of weld time, so it depends where you go

I've been thinking more about the 8.8, considering you can find them with 4.10's, Limited Slip, and disk brakes, not a bad deal.

You need to gear way lower than 4.10. I bought 4.88 and I'm going to 5.71. Most Jeepspeed run high 5s to low 6s. I have seen ring and pinion set as low as 6.15 for the 8.8. Im not sure about the limited slip. Im not sure how reliable it will be..................I guess i'm going to find out soon enough.

You need to gear way lower than 4.10. I bought 4.88 and I'm going to 5.71. Most Jeepspeed run high 5s to low 6s. I have seen ring and pinion set as low as 6.15 for the 8.8. Im not sure about the limited slip. Im not sure how reliable it will be..................I guess i'm going to find out soon enough.
I suppose I was thinking off the shelf/JY upgrades for a prerunner. I agree, you would want to go much lower to race with 33's.What RPM range would you be driving in with 5.71 ? I'm sure you'll want a spool with a race only car.

why do ya need to be geared so low for jeepspeed? i've been able to do everything i've wanted to do with my 3.73's, as far as crawley wheelin, and jumping dunes and whatnot... i'm running 32's with a 4.0/ax15/np231 i know ya wanna keep the rpm's up, and i know the takeoff is better with lower gears, and don't get me wrong, i haven't raced anything in my xj except ricers on the street, and a few other jeeps, but nothing like full blown jeepspeed yet. i'm also running a luchbox locker, is it gonna kerplode?
edit: my bad, by the time i got this far i forgot this was the mj thread, but yeah, 6.15's?

Back