• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noise while turning (low speed)

duke183

NAXJA Forum User
Alright, so for starters I own a 2000 xj 4x4 with 4.0. It is 100% stock. I have noticed lately that when I am turning into a parking spot or something like a parking lot or something, there will be squeeling from the front. It sounds like it is coming from my tire and it is on the passenger side. Where I live I can not really jack it up or anything.

Now from my searching this sounds like a U-Joint going bad. Does this sound right?

If so I am going to the Dover Nascar race tomorrow and have to drive two hours to get there. Will I be ok? It doesnt do it all of the time.

Thanks for your responses in advance.

Hallo. The best is to find a way to lift the front.
You can turn the wheels when free from the ground by hand.
Maybe it is just a sound of the steering pump. A sound of a bad U-joint will only come when you turn the wheel in full turn and is easy to feel and see. Also check the wheel bearings.
Good luck,

wim

Here are some experiments that may help you -

Get in a nice open space. Go in a circle, turning at whatever rate is needed to make it squeal. With it squealing, pop it in neutral and shut the engine down, so you are coasting in a circle. If it is still squealing, it is not the PS or belts. Also, when it is squealing, does braking change anything sound-wise? When Ujoint goes out, it is typically more of a cycling creeking sound more than a squeal. However, if you get your head and a big scredriver down there, you can push the Ujoint with the screwdriver in as many directions as possible and see if you get any play in it. If the joint allows the inner or outer axle to move independent of the other, it has issues. When they are on their last legs, they are usually spilling the bearing pins out, too. No one can guarantee your 2 hour trip will go without issue. If the U joint is the problem, it could give out at any time. Even though you will be driving mostly straight, if it is in bad shape, the fast turning could work a C-clip loose and throw the cap off and be a real pain. Getting the front tires off the ground to check it out would help you a lot.

PS if it sounds like tires squealing, and you are not squelaing your tires, it sounds like a belt. Ujoints are a little more low key

Last edited:
Warped rotors maybe? Just a shot in the dark...but warped rotors at spin with a loose hub might to that?

~Scott

If what you are experiencing is somewhat of a "chirp-like" squeal, I am having the same problem and have determined that it has to be a hub or brakes or combination of both. I have absolutely no rubbing at all while turning as I have checked my steering stops because I assumed it was my tire rubbing on the control arm causing the noise and it is not the case. If it happens to stop raining and I get it figured out I'll post up ASAP.

I'm curious about this too. I have a tire squeal only at low speed tight turns. Mine is not a belt its definitely tire chirp/squeal.

I was thinking my rear drums need adjusted but thats a guess really.

I have a similar problem with my 2000. The sound can best be described as "The wobbly wagon sqeek"

I'm almost 100% positive it's my U-joints.

Hallo.
It is possible to have a squeel between the tire and the rim.
When the worn U-joint is locked/jammed. Especially when the rim is wet and you making a sharp turn. :shhh:

wim

Last edited:
When exceeding the static friction point of the tire on asphalt, many tires will squeel. Like burning rubber on rapid acceleration. An XJ is front heavy, so you get understeer, or as the stock car jockeys call it, push. Front breaks loose and squeels.

When exceeding the static friction point of the tire on asphalt, many tires will squeel. Like burning rubber on rapid acceleration. An XJ is front heavy, so you get understeer, or as the stock car jockeys call it, push. Front breaks loose and squeels.

I don't even know why I didn't think of that. Must have just automatically assumed something was needing fixed.

Ok so I took it in a parking lot. It seems that it only does it when turning left and locking (or almost) the wheel all the way to the left. If I turn it all the way to the right, it will not do it. So, I am assuming this rules out the belt/ps pump. Could it just be a u joint then.

It is really annoying when at the drive thru or parking in a lot. It freaks people out because they think I am flooring it when really all I am doing is making a hard turn.

BTW I also just replaced the rotors/pads up front. So it is not them. They are all new and in great shape.

Last edited:
Yeah I just honestly havent had time and the only jack I have is the crappy one that came with the jeep...I will do this on Saturday. Thanks!

Back