• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2wd prerunners?

tharlanjr

NAXJA Forum User
So I am looking at getting another Cherokee but its a 2door 2wd.

I wanna save up and get the rock krawler triple threat with rear coil conversion.

My ZJ I did the whole short arm lift and it rode like a brick, the XJ I am getting rid of I bought used and didn't know much about it which I didn't like.

SO I want to build this one so I know it better, but I wanna build it right the first time.

Anyways, I know a lot of rangers and such are 2wd, what are the pro's and cons of a 2wd prerunner.

I was thinking maybe an ox locker so if I do get into a hairy situation I can lock it and help get me out.

thoughts?

2wd prerunners are fine, you'll actually pull more travel and be lighter with a 2wd, but 4wd is nice when you stop in the sand :D Been there done that.

On a side note, I wouldn't run a coil conversion in the rear, if you're going to do anything coil do coilovers and linke it like dan did. Or consider a corr style link setup with the coilovers mounted on the axle in a 1:1 fashion. Otherwise stick to leafs.

Just throwing this out there but why did RK switch from coilovers to coils or the rear? On my dads XJ that we built we did the RK rear 4 link and it was supplied with 14" Fox coilovers, Now they just come with regular shocks and coil springs...Now, before I went out and bought the whole Triple Threat, if anything all Id just buy the link upgrade and not the whole kit and then do your C/Os CORR style, otherwise dont waste your time with it and do trailing arms link dan, you would be much happier. Also, like Jim said, 2wd can get better travel and be a decent amount lighter but unless you plan on just racing it Id go 4wd just so you can stop and not worry about getting stuck when you go to take off again

Last edited:
THe jeep I am looking at is nice, lots of miles, but looks good.

It will be fun to make it prerunner, and if I grab the 4link front setup it will ride sweet.

Back