• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie Camera Question

Mosephus

NAXJA Forum User
Would you guys recommend a Nikon D40 for a beginner DSLR? For those that have used it what do and don't you like about it.

I've read / watched a few reviews on it, but I just want info on it from guys that have used like I will use it.

I was looking at the panasonic dmc lx3 and Canon G10 also, but it seems I can get more camera for less of a price and just keep my old point and shoot for the rough stuff.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with a D40. The best part of a DSLR over a G10 or a LX3 is the interchangeable lenses.

I would suggest though before you buy any SLR make sure you want to either go Nikon or Canon. Any lens you buy will be a bigger investment than the body but you can use that lens as you move up in bodies.

I bought Nikon and now am finding myself more fond of Canon glass but I have invested so much in Nikon stuff that I feel it would be a step in the wrong direction to start over.

Don't get my wrong though. Nikon is very very good stuff. Just as good really as Canon. I just like the options Canon offers in their line up.

Thanks, I do like the canons and some of their features too, but I can get into a D40 cheaper. I will definitely have to think about that.

There is nothing wrong with Nikon stuff. My biggest complaint is that I really want a body that will shoot HD video and is a full frame. Nikon has really been dragging their feet in that area. The Canon 5D mkII just plain rocks but its almost 3K too.

Be careful with the D40. You can only use motorized lenses for autofocus on it since there's no built in motor drive for focusing. That brings the cost of the lenses up considerably. ;)

It does but it still has the smaller crop sensor in it. If I spend that kind of cash on a camera I want a 35mm sensor.

The D90 does some spectacular work. Ryan, be careful you're not taking your personal preference away from what this guy wants to do. Your overall mission is different than his. :)

Thanks for the tips, I went and looked at the D40 and D3000 Yesterday and also a Canon Rebel XS. I think I've decided on the D40 but with the intent to upgrade later and just keep the D40 for a spare/extra.

Not that it matters but here are a Couple shots with the Nikons

D3000
DSC_0002.jpg

D40
DSC_0001.jpg

The D90 does some spectacular work. Ryan, be careful you're not taking your personal preference away from what this guy wants to do. Your overall mission is different than his. :)

Oh I'm not. I have nothing at all against Nikons. If they hurry and come out with exactly what I am looking for I will stick with them. I hate like hell to sell what I already have and start with a new system all together.

I keep hearing rumors of a D700X or something along that line that will do video and have a full size sensor. If it happens in the next six months or so I will stay with Nikon.

I'm sure it will. The D300s was just made available recently, and that's an updated D300 with HD video. That raised my eyebrow...

I saw that. Still not a big sensor though and thats what is starting to piss me off with Nikon. Canon is stealing a lot of loyal Nikon shooters over the issue.

I shoot Canon, but use Nikons quite frequently. Using comparable models, the most watered down simplified deduction we have come up with is that if you want a quicker "easier" shot, go Nikon. If you want the ability for more color and contrast, go with a Nikon.

I shoot Canon, but use Nikons quite frequently. Using comparable models, the most watered down simplified deduction we have come up with is that if you want a quicker "easier" shot, go Nikon. If you want the ability for more color and contrast, go with a Nikon.

So, Which one? :D

So, Which one? :D

Haha OOPS! I meant:

"if you want a quicker "easier" shot, go Nikon. If you want the ability for more color and contrast, go with a Canon."

SLR's are way faster and can shoot in lower light than just about any point and shoot. Of course the interchangeable and insanely expensive lenses are a plus too :)
The D40 only being able to use the silent wave motor lenses sucks. But a lot of new lenses are getting the motors in them. The other big issue for me (I have a D60, basically same camera) is that it doesn't have enough auto focus points and is not fast enough. But I like to shoot wildlife, birds especially, so it all depends on what you will be using it for.

Back