• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Belt Squeak Only With A/C

mattlago

NAXJA Forum User
96 Cherokee 4.0 .

Bought my Cherokee, runs like a champ. However, I get a squeal ONLY when the a/c is turned on. Took off belt (looks like new) and replaced it with a brand new one. A/C works perfectly.

Squealing goes away as engine heats up, but it is crazy annoying.

Assuming I am having an issue with the A/C compressor. Would this be your conclusion as well?

Is there a quick / cheap fix? Can I shoot some lube into it or anything like that?

Is the belt tight enough? The A/C may be putting enough load on the belt that it squeals even when it normally would not.

The 4.0 belt needs to be REALLY tight, the 1990 FSM says 180-200 foot/lbs, a used belt 140-160 foot/lbs.

Get a Krikit II, not I, gauge:

GATES Part # 91132
MoreInfo.gif
{Krikit V-Ribbed Belt Tension Gauge}
Category: Belt Tension Gauge
getimage.php

$14.78$0.00$14.78

Thanks Joe, that's going on my next RockAuto order! I've been using the magical thumb tension and ear gauge so far.

As everyone said the most likely problem is the belt is loose. While you are inspecting it also check the bearing in the ilder pulley as well as the harmonic balancer. The seperate times those went out on my Jeep the belt squealed with the AC on as well.

Ok, thanks everyone. I thought the belt was D### tight. I will check it again,,,

If no dice, will check the other pulleys, thank you.

My '96 did the same thing. Got a Krikit ll, works great on the other cars, but I found it hard to find a good spot on '96+ engines to use it. I had the belt so tight it took out a recent water pump and the idler, and still squealed with A/C when cold. Put on a Gates belt, better but still squealed a little. The day it stopped, the A/C also stopped, and now the compressor won't engage.
Where on the '96+ is the best place to test it?

I have replaced my belt 3 times on my 99. Each time, it squeaked under load (AC) until I tightend it a smidgen more. The serp belt on the 4.0 needs to be tighter than ANY other vehicle I have ever owned in 35 years of driving.....

I put on a new belt on my 2000 and it squealed. I`ve retightened in 4 or 5 times. Still squeals. I guess it has to be scarey tight.

Back