• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Still HOT !!!

jeepsrock

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ is having a problem getting a bit too hot when idle (Traffic, Stop Light..etc) and when driving uphill. I never let it get to the RED but it get very close, very fast. As soon as i get going (on level terrain), turn off the AC the temp drops very quickly to normal.

Before summer i flushed the system and should add that the Radiator/Hoses/Thermostat were all replaced less than 2 years ago and the Fan Clutch and Pump not more than 3 years. All the reading i have done points to a weak Fan clutch ?

Some Additional Points, that might be relevant...
1. 4.5" Lift with 32" Tires Stock Gearing.
2. E-Fan Comes on with AC and when temp reaches 225F.
3. Trans cooler installed on the middle of Radiator.

Some advice or suggestions would be highly appreciated.
Pete

Do not let your temps reach that high. You need to drive your jeep and let it get to operating temp and then lift the hood turn the fan...if its easy with no resistance...then you need a new fan clutch..if it has some resistance...then it's fine. You might not be holding pressure well...replace your radiator cap..its only about 6 bucks, so its cheap insurance. And your t stat might not be opening up....is it a stock 195 degree t stat?
Check the easy stuff first. I was experiencing a very similar problem, though mine never got up to that high of a temp, and I replaced the T stat, radiator cap, and flushed the system, and everything was fine.

So now that the outside temps have dropped to the 80s, the jeep is operating fine. It never crosses the mid 210F. Does this tell us anything ?

Also I turned the mech Fan with my hands as suggested and it spins no more than a quarter turn max both cold and hot (feels the same).

Pete

Your fan clutch is toast.

ZJ HD fan clutch, NAPA part no. 272310, $44, direct fit replacement.

If you decide to get it, don't let them palm off on you the ZJ MAX cool clutch, it won't fit.

One thing that I forgot to mention in a recent thread was what a difference in temps after cleaning my AC coil!

A new fan clutch will help, but fan clutches suck. Consider converting to dual electrics??? I would get a switch inside so that you can run the electric (even if you don't do the switch) when you want, and keep it running whenever you're idling and driving slow so that temps don't get a chance to build up. Just having it on a switch and having a good air flow constantly can make a huge difference. YOu can search on all the different methods of doing electric fan mods, etc.

Another thing is letting more air out of the engine compartment. A cheap way is to get some 1/4" strips and space the rear mounts of the hood up so that air can escape. Or you could cut holes and put louvers right on the hood. Depending on your taste you can get them for a few bucks at home depot, or you can get real fancy ones like this http://www.raceace.com/products.html#productshood I just got a set of the medium ones in a raffle at a jeep rally!! Real fancy looking!!

I purhcased and installed NAPA 272310 as suggested above, and you can actually hear the difference in the air volume.

I cant really tell if its making a big difference or not since the weather has turned from Hot 90+F to rain in a matter of a few days, thats Cali for you. I guess time will tell..

Thanks Pete

Back