• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help needed with electric fan wiring

WHITE93

NAXJA Forum User
I replaced my clutch fan w dual electric fans. I had them wired to a toggle switch but I decided to get rid of my fog lights and run them of the switch for them so it looks cleaner. My ? Is which wire on a 99 cherokee is the power supply run out of the switch to the fog lights there is a blue purple black and orange. And can anyone tell me if the power in wire is strong enough to handle the fans

Don't try to run the fans directly off that switch. If anything, use that switch to control a relay.

Pin 1 Orange- Illum
Pin 2 Blue - to fog relay
Pin 3 Purple - Switched 12V source
Pin 4 Black - Ground

Remember, the factory fog light switch is only powered when either your headlights or parking lights are on and your high beams are off. This is controlled by the relay in the fog lamp circuit which is actually before the switch. The fog lamps are wired directly to the switch and typically cause premature failure of the switch due to overloading it. Running an electric fan off the fog light switch would just accelerate this problem.

If you really want to use your fog light switch, bypass all the factory wiring and use the fog light switch to control a relay which in turn will control your electric fan.

Maybe this will help.

scan0001-1.jpg

scan0001.jpg

I run twin thermo fans on mine and they run in a series / parallel arrangement to give a 2 speed setup, when the computer telle them to they change from series (low speed) to parallel (high speed).
I find that this works well although I will be fitting a switch to turn them off for water crossings as at the moment it will blow the fuse when traversing deep water...

Back