• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Header Questions

J Money

NAXJA Forum User
Quick question for you guys....

I have 98 XJ.

I just bought a 99+ intake manifold I plan on installing next week. While I am working on it, I figured it would be a good time to buy a header and install it as well.

So the question is... Which header do I buy? For a Pre 99 or a 99 and later? From what I have read, it sounds like a 99 and later header has a dimple that is required to fit with the newer style manifold.

I know some of you guys have does the intake manifold swap, so any input would be awesome.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Last edited:
I just had to install a header. From what I have read on this site, minimal gains can be had with the 4.0 and as such I decided not to go with performance as much as price. If you want performance, skip this reply and go to those with more knowledge. If you are looking for price, here is the best deal I found,http://stores.shop.ebay.com/ePartPa...17QQ_sidZ655783417QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322 . I dont know anything about them except the price is amazing, it showed up quickly, NIB with gasket and they have sold 40k items so probably pretty reputable.

I installed mine and I am very pleased. That being said, mine sounded like a diesel before from a cracked header pipe so I dont know that my judgment means much. But it fit right up, was brand new and cant beat the price.... $67 including shipping.. Wow

The cheapest route for a header would be the APN. We've beaten that horse into a fine puree if you do a bit of searching. You'll want the header that fits your head- since that's what it bolts to. The "dimple" is something you do with a hammer, and that's documented too. Some heads do not require tweaking the header and manifold to fit- you won't know 100% until you fit them up.

Im not sure how that is the cheapest route? I dont think it comes close to $67 with gasket including shipping does it?

When I was asking about this one of the forum guys said "well it lasted for the first 13 years, so would you be happy with another 13 years?" That is when I decided to get the one for $67.00 Again, dont work or know them, and maybe apn is the s##t, but im pretty happy with my extra cash in my pocket.

APN sells good headers for cheap. I used one to replace the cracked stock header on my last heep.

Im not sure how that is the cheapest route? I dont think it comes close to $67 with gasket including shipping does it?

You put on a cheap ebay manifold. I put on a stainless knockoff of a Banks/Edelbrock header, with a good reputation among people who'd used it. If $100 is that big a deal to you, don't fix anything- ever.

Regardless of what you run, check your mounts before you throw money at it.

Sounds good. Thanks guys! I just read 11 pages on the other thread about the APN header. I will exercise the search option better next time :)

That sig still brings a chuckle. On a side note, anybody looking for a Borla(but w/o a s-pipe, so room to offer less) here's a used one you could probably get for $250(or $200 for a bartering guru). It already has been dimpled for the 99+ intake:
http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/pts/1385658608.html
Oh yeah, it might be Simon's(I know some Jeep head lives down there in Warrenton).

Last edited:
"If $100 is that big a deal to you, don't fix anything- ever." Now there is some sage advice. Thank you. From this day forward I will not fix anything if it costs over $100. EVER!

I will also never recommend a fix cheaper than $100...

He asked about a header. The APN is, to my knowledge, the cheapest header available for the XJs. What you have, and what the XJs came with, is a manifold. There is a subtle difference, but they are different. If you want to get butthurt after trying to correct me, feel free. I really don't care what you do.

Anyway, if it works for you, great. Everyone has different budgets and different goals. One of the things I most like about this forum is that there's info for everyone. I did sound like an ass earlier. Long week, don't mind me.

Last edited:
Automotive Parts Network, I believe, is just the retailer- the exact brand of the header isn't known- although I think it's just a Chinese clone of the more popular headers- it's a knockoff of the Banks/Edelbrock/Rugged Ridge header. The link is http://www.ineedparts.com/auto-parts/exhaust-parts/exhaust-manifolds/jeep-exhaust-manifold.html

So, it's about $150. I paid more, as it shipped from here in Indiana (Shelbyville, which surprised me), so I got to pay sales tax, too.

Something about the ebay manifolds that bothers me- why are the bellows at #1 and #6? I looked at my 97, and a 95 and 96 my friends owned- all 3 had cracks at the collector- none had cracks where the other manifolds put the bellows. What's the logic behind that? That never made sense to me, especially if the culprit behind the cracking is really deteriorated motor mounts.

Last edited:
He asked about a header. The APN is, to my knowledge, the cheapest header available for the XJs. What you have, and what the XJs came with, is a manifold. There is a subtle difference, but they are different.

care to elaborate? as i have been brought up to understand it, a header is a type of exhaust manifold, tubular in nature(as in, made from tubing, not internally flowing in nature), like http://www.sz-wholesale.com/uploadFiles/exhaust%20header_379.jpg as example...

while something reffered to as an exhaust manifold proper, refurs to any exhaust manifold including headers, but usually of the cast sort? as in http://image.mustangandfords.com/f/...ford_mustang+performance_exhaust_manifold.jpg

So?

You mean like all headers are manifolds, but not all manifolds are headers? NERDRAGE RAAAAWR

Seriously though, I have always thought the difference was all cylinders dumping into one pipe (manifold), versus each cylinder dumping into its own pipe, with those pipes being joined at collectors, like an APN, Thorley, Borla, etc (header). Also under the impression that a header is built that way to improve performance- changing the backpressure, scavenging, pulse tuning whatever, while the "exhaust manifold"... just gets the gas to go someplace.

That not how most folks see it?

HUBS97, If you re read my post I CLEARLY state that I am only providing the cheapest and if he wanted more performance to look elsewhere for more educated posts. Wasnt butt hurt and not trying to correct you, I thought you meant with parts or other issues it ended up being cheaper. That was all. Dont sweat the long week we all have them. Heck, Im having one now. Forums for for debate and I tend to lean toward the sarcastic side as well.

That being said, this engine is IMHO not going to produce GOBS of torque or tremendous horsepower from a header swap. One of the reasons I love the 4.0 is its design in nature. Good strong torque at the low end of the rpm range. So my point was in this area maybe I would spend less money and drop bigger dollars on tires, suspension, brakes etc. I will agree with you though that I have seen plenty of people post "buy apn, buy apn, buy apn" like its a mantra as they have had success. But I have never seen a chart showing why to buy it.

Think the guy that asked the question is even reading this anymore?~?~?

Automotive Parts Network, I believe, is just the retailer- the exact brand of the header isn't known- although I think it's just a Chinese clone of the more popular headers- it's a knockoff of the Banks/Edelbrock/Rugged Ridge header. The link is http://www.ineedparts.com/auto-parts/exhaust-parts/exhaust-manifolds/jeep-exhaust-manifold.html

So, it's about $150. I paid more, as it shipped from here in Indiana (Shelbyville, which surprised me), so I got to pay sales tax, too.

Something about the ebay manifolds that bothers me- why are the bellows at #1 and #6? I looked at my 97, and a 95 and 96 my friends owned- all 3 had cracks at the collector- none had cracks where the other manifolds put the bellows. What's the logic behind that? That never made sense to me, especially if the culprit behind the cracking is really deteriorated motor mounts.

Its not just ebay manifolds that put the flex pipe in. A brand new one from Mopar will have it too. Mopar revised it a few years back, and since the knockoffs copy Mopar theres got it too. It was put there to allow the manifold to flex so it wont crack as easily.

Back