• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Filter? suggestions?

solomon7

NAXJA Forum User
I'm stuck between a Purolator Pure One flter a NAPA WIX filter or a FRAM Tough Guard.

My main concern is oil pressure, and I've head some filters have different valve ratings. Which will likely give higher pressure?

I'm open to other recommendations as well!

On a side note: I ran 10W -30 last year with a Fram tough guard filter and averaged about 50-60 highway warm, 35-40 warm at idle. 10-30 and a Pure One filter and get currently 45-50 highway warm and 25-30 warm at idle. Probably the gauge though, but come to think of it I've run Pure Ones the last 2 or 3 changes and the pressure seems lower than the Fram TG. Stiffer valve or something?? Just like being in tha half way sone on all the gauges lol!

Avoid fram, I hate them.

The Pure one is a good filter, so is the wix. Honestly it becomes which one is more convenient for you to pick up. Or which retailer has the best sale on oil right now.

I have been running a Mobil One Filter on my MJ and the wifes blazer, I run a K&N on my stroker. Both of those do fine as well

Run don't walk from Fram... cardboard innards!!!!

Mobile1, NAPA Gold, WIX all good to go.

I run Mobile1 as well, with good results. But, my father swears by fram filters in all of our others cars. If only the other filter makers would put that rhino lining on the bottom of their filters!!!!!!!!!!!

Really - get him to see this article.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/reference.html

Fram Tough Guard TG8A

This filter has an improved filter element with more surface area (248 sqin), a heavy silicone anti-drainback valve with a good sealing surface, the same plastic pressure relief valve but with an integral screen to keep out large particles, and enough inlet holes for good flow. In my opinion, the only real drawback to this filter is that it is capped on each end with cardboard instead of metal.
There's a lot more info there, go read it, or Google Fram cardboard oil filters..... it's embarrassing that they've got away with it for so long.

I buy Wix filters by the case from the local NAPA. I'm satisfied with the product.

Got a NAPA gold. Same as a WIX from my understanding. I was using the Pure One. After reading teh article, would the oil being "restricted" account for a slight drop in oil pressure??

Napa gold and wix have the same number.... I wonder why..... :shhh:
The same reason Napa shocks have the same part numbers as Monroes maybe? :confused:

Wix - 51515

Larger then stock

Agreed.
I am running the WIX 51515 which is used on Ford Aerostars (among many other vechicles). Here is a picture I took of the WIX 51515 beside the stock Cherokee filter that I replaced when I bought the Jeep:

CIMG0137.JPG

CIMG0140.JPG

And while we are on the topic, read this very detailed comparison that was conducted over a few years on many filters including the WIX 51515 (does very well) and the equivalent FRAM (absolutely horrible)
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/reference.html

I usually run the Napa Gold ( same as Wix) filters, otherwise I run Bosch filters (usually because of the vatozone oil change deal). But the Puro. and K&N filters are good too.

My local store has Wix for a buck or two more than the most generic crap. Easy choice, good oil pressure, never problems. When I am in a neighboring town with Auto Zone I get Bosch. I don't notice much difference between the two, and it seems a cheap enough. I have used K&N in the past too, and they were good, but seemed a bit pricey by comparison.

I did cut apart a bunch of filters a few years ago. The differences were quite noticeable. K&N is not kidding that they use different stuff inside. Very stiff, doesn't look like paper at all. And the case really is extra thick, too. Wix and Bosch have more, and tighter pleats than the cheap ones.

I'm always a little surprised at these oil filter debates. If the difference between a Fram and a Wix were something like 20 bucks, all right, but we're talking something like a buck and a half difference in a job that's going to cost you about 25 even with the cheapest generic oil. Just spring for the good filter.

My local store has Wix for a buck or two more than the most generic crap. Easy choice, good oil pressure, never problems. When I am in a neighboring town with Auto Zone I get Bosch. I don't notice much difference between the two, and it seems a cheap enough. I have used K&N in the past too, and they were good, but seemed a bit pricey by comparison.

I did cut apart a bunch of filters a few years ago. The differences were quite noticeable. K&N is not kidding that they use different stuff inside. Very stiff, doesn't look like paper at all. And the case really is extra thick, too. Wix and Bosch have more, and tighter pleats than the cheap ones.

I'm always a little surprised at these oil filter debates. If the difference between a Fram and a Wix were something like 20 bucks, all right, but we're talking something like a buck and a half difference in a job that's going to cost you about 25 even with the cheapest generic oil. Just spring for the good filter.

I won't use anything but K&N. They are far superior to all the others. All the others use paper based filters. K & N is the only one that uses a synthetic organic fiber filter media. K & N has a much higher burst pressure on the can, and the best anti drain back valve on the market, critical for those of who have inverted oil filters or horizontal oil filter mountings.

Back