• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil coming out of dipstick

muddeprived

NAXJA Forum User
What would cause oil to come out of the dipstick? I pushed the jeep a little hard going 70 mph on the way home and it started smokin real bad and then i pulled over and saw oil draining down the block and onto the exhaust. It appears to be coming out of the dipstick.

any ideas?

The only thing I know of that can do that is crankcase pressurization - probably bad news. Depending on how much pressure it has behind it and how far it's spraying, I'd guess anything from bad rings/seals/head gasket maybe to a hole in a piston head if it's really spraying.

EDIT: where's it coming out of exactly on the stick? If it's coming out around the base, maybe it just got knocked loose?

It's black and definately oil cuz it's running down the dipstick from the very top. It doesn't leak or spray anything under normal driving, only at highway speeds 70+ mph. I usually don't drive that fast but I tried once today and oil went everywhere.

I just fixed my rear main and valve cover gasket. Nothing else is leaking.

If it was coming out of the dipstick and spewing all the way over onto the exhaust, it seems to be pretty bad.
What year XJ. The Renix are prone to spew if the vavle cover vents get plugged, the air filter gets covered in oil often also.

you sure it was oil and not tranny fluid?

Really good question? The tranny cooler lines are prone to leak at the disconnects.
Power steering hoses often rub through on the top of the steering box on the Renix. You just about have to remove the air box to see it.

i'll second the tranny fluid bit. get some on your fingers and rub it around, or soak it up with a white towel, if its red at all its tranny fluid.

there is a overflow vent on the trans just above the starter, when the trans gets too hot oil shoots out of there all over the starter and drips right onto the cat at high speed and makes one heck of a smoke screen.

If it was coming out of the dipstick and spewing all the way over onto the exhaust, it seems to be pretty bad.
What year XJ. The Renix are prone to spew if the vavle cover vents get plugged, the air filter gets covered in oil often also.

It's a 2001 with 92k miles. I did the seals two weeks ago and the motor was clean, no sludge buildup or anything like that. Everything was good. I don't have any blue smoke or anything coming out of the tailpipe.

The oil is running out of the dipstick, down the tube and on the side of the block and is blown onto the exhaust cross pipe beneath the oil pan. It does not leak at idle or regular around-town driving.

How much oil did you put in it after you did that work?

6 qts

Ok i'm an idiot. My dipsticks aren't labeled, they are universal i believe and i got them mixed up. The TRANSMISSION dipstick has fluid coming down it, not the oil so it's the tranny spitting out fluid. My bad....but anyways, could the breather be clogged?

oil tube is on the side opposite the exhaust, tranny tube is at the back

if it's tranny fluid then it's probably overfilled. run the engine in PARK for 15 min and then check the level. probably a good idea to gravity drain and refill to appropriate level if its gotten that hot

oil tube is on the side opposite the exhaust, tranny tube is at the back

if it's tranny fluid then it's probably overfilled. run the engine in PARK for 15 min and then check the level. probably a good idea to gravity drain and refill to appropriate level if its gotten that hot

Ok It may have overheated. I got lost for a good hour and was turning around constantly and getting a little ticked. I did push it hard and also on the way home so that may be it. I'm pushing 5 skids and heavy swampers so i guess it's working harder than normal.

Too much oil in tranny! Even overheating should not make it come out of the dipstick.

Tranny fluid was always at the mark. I never had it overfilled. I check my fluids before i go wheeling and it's been fine since. I just think i pushed it too hard and it exploded out the dipstick. I saw a thread over in another forum about this guy who had the exact same problem. It was weird cuz it felt like i posted the thread. It only happened to him when he pushed his jeep hard and only happened once. I have ALOT of extra weight on the jeep and I'm taxing the tranny when I go above the norm.

Back