• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question about rear glass

90xj06

NAXJA Forum User
when i got my 90 xj i had the suspition that the rear glass was replaced. i recently learned that if you close the hatch and the glass hits a 2x4 the glass pops right out. is this normal?

also my jeep has what looks to be factory mirror tint on the back side windows. (2dr) and the rear glass has no tint. did the factory one come tinted?

also if you have the glass coverage on your insurance does it cover all the glass in your car?

for the rear windows? every xj i have owned 86 Laredo, 88 Sport, 90 Laredo they all have black rubber trim on the rear 3 windows.

The Laredo's both had chrome windshield trim as well as door trim.

thats what i thought but i drove by one the other day and it had chrome around. i dont know what base it was but it looked nice.

I had an issue with my rear glass. the top of the black seal was separated from the hatch. I took a small thin screwdriver and got the seal back around the inside of the frame, after that I took some black RTV and used a bigger flat head screwdriver and got the head of the RTV in there and laid a nice bead, hasn't moved since. The window then came loose from the seal so I black RTVed that back together too. that too seems to be holding.

The neighbor's son used to have an 87 with polished aluminum on every window seal. I'm pretty sure it was a Laredo. However he had all kinds of stuff on it, including the factory tire carrier, so it may have been something else. He never seemed that interested in talking about it and sold it a while ago unfortunately.

Back