• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

locking gas cap

I have one, got it at AutoZone. Don't know what brand:confused:.

I like knowing it's locked, although it's a bit of a pain to unlock. I'm sure someone with a hammer and a screwdriver could smash it to bits.

in high school i pumped gas at a full service station. I used to love the people with locking gas caps. i would have them off before they could fumble around to find the key.

"fill it up with regular. oh, you need a key for that". i would hold up the removed gas cap "for this?" then the look of disappointment as their super security feature failed them....

With the plastic ones you just squeeze the sides and turn it. There was one guy who had an all metal one, that one i actually needed the key for.

Something to think about - my folks told me that during the big gas crunch of '73, lots of people started running out and buying locking caps. All that did was cause the gas theives to start carrying an awl or screwdriver - punch a hole in the tank, drain into bucket. I think I'd rather have a standard cap than risk someone punching a hole in my tank. (of course, if your tank has a thick skidplate on it, that might be a slightly different story...)

What makes you think someone's going to steal your gas?

I have a locking gas cap. it is a pain to take off and i am sure it is actually not as steal prof as some may think for the fuel in the tank. not to mention if your state has emissions the locking caps usually have a problem failing the evap tests.

Stant cap found at Wallyworld. It was 12 bones I think.

My friend found out somebody was siphoning gas out of his tank in front of his house (!) when gas hit $4+ a year or two ago. He bought a locking gas cap and has been fine ever since.

Back