• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need help on choosing lighting setup

Emerscape

NAXJA Forum User
I recently picked up a used ARB bumper with a set of Hella 500 round fog lights to replace my Warrior Products rockcrawler bumper. I also have a set of Hella 500 driving lights from my previous bumper.

The previous owner ran the set of Hella 500 round fog lights in front of the grille and then a set of Hella 500 rectangular driving lights (I think) mounted where the roller fairlead of the winch is. I've not had a chance to wire the round fogs so I'm not sure how bright/blinding they might be. I know with my 500 driving lights, I can't use them on the highway unless it is super late and no one is around. So here is my situation.

We do a lot of driving up north in the winter often later in the evening but not to the extent that I can use my driving lights a lot. I still, however, like to have them. I would like some extra lighting for normal & poor weather conditions, where I can run my fogs without worrying too much about oncoming traffic. So which setup should I use:

1) Round driving lights up top and a set of rectangular fog lights on the bottom
or
2) Round fogs up top and a set of rectangular driving lights on the bottom.

Not sure what the real difference, outputwise is between the two different styles. Any input would be great.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this helps but your suposed to run fog lights closer to the ground because they do not project that far. Driving lights are normally mounted higher so they will throw light down the road

The idea of fog lights is to project the from as low as possible so visibility is better.

upgrade to IPF H4 conversions and IPF Fatboy bulbs, they will more than wash out any Hella lights and you can aim them so you don't blind people...then move the driving lights to the rear as backup lights. I had Hellas but couldn't tell the difference after I did the headlight conversion so I took them off.

Back