• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Making explorer parking brake cables work

fuzzydog

NAXJA Forum User
I have to thank Oatmeal for giving me the idea for this, and I finally got around to doing it. This is how to make explorer parking brake cables work after you put an 8.8 in your XJ.

First pic is a new explorer long side cable beside a new cherokee cable. Cherokee cables are the same on both sides

DSCF2737.jpg

here is a close up shot of the lever end of both cables. the cable ends are the same - ie the explorer cable end will fit on the cherokee.

DSCF2736.jpg

I twisted the cable end off of the long explorer cable - it was a lot easier than I originally thought. It is crimped on there, but vice grips on the cable end and pliers on the cable and it came right off. I also cut the barrel off the end of the cable. this was not easy to do and won't be done with basic wire cutters. I used a hammer, chisel and an anvil. It's not in the pics because it went flying across the shop.

DSCF2739.jpg

Then I cut the explorer cable sheath to the same length as the cherokee cable. Used a hacksaw and goes fairly quick. the sheath is a long wire wound in a spiral (like a big spring) and covered with a plastic coating. You just have to cut through the plastic and one spiral. Be careful not to cut into the inner cable itself.

DSCF2738.jpg

Put the cable end back on the now shortened explorer cable. I then took a hammer and punch and re-crimped the cable end all around the perimeter. Trust me when I say it helps to have a helper do this. The cables have a bend to them and it was very hard to hold the barrel end in the right spot, hold the punch and hit with a hammer. I was cursed to be born with only 2 arms.

DSCF2740.jpg

and there you have it - a hybrid explorer/cherokee brake cable that is the right length and has the right connections on both ends

DSCF2741.jpg

And here is how I hooked them up at the lever end. It still looks like crap as I haven't niced it up since I ran out of time last night. I'll tidy it up and cut the cable ends to length tonight when I adjust the parking brake. I also will put on another cable clamp on both ends, when I have the length just right.

DSCF2743.jpg

Back