• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

drive shaft angles adjust?

wim hoppenbrouwers

NAXJA Forum User
Hallo,
I have dropped my cross member with 1/2" by placing a stiffener (steel strip 12mm)on the main frame. It's in fact a T-case drop of half an inch..
The drive shaft angle from the t-case is about 7* and the rear diff pinion angle is 8*.
I don't have vibes or sounds at all, but is this an aswer that everything is ok?
Maybe there is an extra strain on the bearings or U-joints.
Is it wise to use a shim of 1* in the rear, so the angles are the same and the drive shaft U-joints are parallel.
It is the OEM drive shaft with the 2 U-joints at the ends and the lift is only 2".

p.s Are there shims of 1* to buy?

Thanks Wim.

'92 XJ

The difference is fine, in fact if it's in the right direction (pinion pointing a little too low) it is good, because under torque (when a mismatch will make the most vibration) the pinion will rise slightly due to spring wrap, bringing the difference to 0.

The difference is fine, in fact if it's in the right direction (pinion pointing a little too low) it is good, because under torque (when a mismatch will make the most vibration) the pinion will rise slightly due to spring wrap, bringing the difference to 0.

Of course ,I forgot the axle wrap totally.:doh:

Thanks kastein.

Back