• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LOUD driveline bearings

camarors8992

NAXJA Forum User
my '98 has a bad bearing somewhere in the drive line, it gets louder as I increase in speed and at it's worst a phone conversation is difficult, and you find yourself having to repeat what you say to a passenger. How can I distinguish where the problem is ? It's coming from up front, so it would have to be T-case, Front diff., or wheel bearings. I know how to check the wheel bearings, but as far as the T-case and front diff go I don't know how to tell which could be at fault. I know the front pinion is a little sloppy, but i want to know that's the problem before i spend $300 to have it done. ( I don't know how to set up gears)

I don't see a problem so long as it's up on jackstands - just make sure it's in 2wd before jacking the back up and leaving the front on the ground, or simply put both axles on stands for extra safety.

Only change the U-joints if they are bad. When U joints are making noise, you can SEE the play in them. Pull the front shaft and look for play. Drive your jeep without the front shaft in it and see if the noise is still there. As mentioned, it sounds more like wheel bearings.

My Pioneer HU is synced with my cell, so it's all hands free.

Anyways, I pulled the front shaft out and the Jeep barely makes any noise at all and a 80% of the vibes I had are gone. I thought the vibes were from the 3" lift and no T-case drop or SYE. So I'm assuming that there's something going on with the front drive shaft, but I'm still having the pinion bearings and seals replaced.

So -- that eliminates the wheel hubs -- correct? I am not saying, but asking.

I am watching this thread because I will be removing the front driveshaft on my stocker in the next few days. Everyone says it sounds like the hubs, and I hope it is because I think I can change those. The pinion bearing, however, is something that I will have to pay someone else some big bucks to change.

Back