• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing the vent window?

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
So I have an '88 2door I just got and the passenger vent window was broken out...so I took the vent window out of my '89 to put in only to realize I had no idea how to take one out with a lower stud that wasn't completely rusted/snapped.

I busted open the service manual and it didn't really give me much info. Do you simply turn the window and pull down or does the whole assembly have to come out?

Also, is it maybe a thought to just pull my good window off the lower mounting bracket and silicon it into the lower bracket on the '88? (the stuff holding it in the bracket seems like a bitch to get off...but I'm sure it's possible)

~Scott

First question are they both the vent windows that open? If so then all you have to do is remove the philips screw that holds the little metal piece in the top front side of the glass itself. Then the glass will slide out of the bottom metal piece and slide the new one in place and put the screw back in. I did that on my 92 as the latches were worn out not getting a good closed seal and it was alot easier than swapping the whole frame.

Well I may as well post up what I ended up doing. I basically took a hair dryer and put that to the broken out window/frame where the vent window sits, and scraped out all the old broken glass from the PO. Then I did the same to the window mount off my good window so it was free, took some silicon and put a decent amount on both sides of the window glass, set it in the frame, and bolted/mounted it all up.

Worked like a charm! Took some time, but it looks good and I have glass now, and a working vent window! (Yes, it was the open/close vent window)

~Scott

Last edited:
windows that dont open cannot be a vent window, can they?

i hope you wiped both frame and window w/ alcohol, if not the silicone will not hold.

windows that dont open cannot be a vent window, can they?

i hope you wiped both frame and window w/ alcohol, if not the silicone will not hold.

...and a working vent window! (Yes, it was the open/close vent window)...

It does open...that's why I called it a vent window. It twist out...did I not say, it opens? You fail at trying to be a smart arse in this thread. :dunce:

And nope didn't clean it, don't care much. I'll fix it if it leaks. But since it sits in a frame and bolts in, I doubt it'll go anywhere/leak.

~Scott

the alcohol thing was a productive question, as im a glazier. it wont just leak, the silicon holds it in as well.

Sorry, you tend to make smart arse post so when I see your name my defense shield comes up. :yap:

Anyhow, yeah I answered the whole window opening/closing thing right after Dave asked that...if you read the rest...

As far as the alcohol, yeah it has the hinge up top that holds it, so I know it won't FALL out. If I do notice it coming loose though I'll certainly pull it and clean it up a but more. I left the original rubber sealant in the lower "frame" of the window piece, so the silicon just filled the voids.

~Scott

cool, my apologies for my smart arse nature!

Hey, someone has to keep forums interesting! :rtm:
I've just been on here long enough to know which people are the ones to listen to, personalities, etc. While your info tends to be pretty decent, you just approach it differently then others.

~Scott

Back