• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is my shock thinking correct?

MadPikAvenger

NAXJA Forum User
So my XJ is sittin on the RE 3.5" lift. Based on talking to other guys the 10" 5150's seem to work well up front. I haven't been able to get a clear answer on the rear though. The RE mono-tubes I have now measure 24.3" extended and 14.9" collapsed. The 8" travel bilsteins measure 22.5" and 14.17". The 10" measure 25.9" and 15.89". I plan on running the JKS bpes so that will add about .5" to the lengths.

So my question are the 10" or the 8" a better fit. It seems to me that the 10" would be to large. For what its worth my jeep is my DD and sees mostly sand dunes and the occasion fire-road type trail.

Thanks.

The only thing that can answer this for sure is your tape measure.
How do the current shock lengths fit? When you are at the end of the travel in either direction is there any room for change?
You are going to get some people to tell you they run the 8" and some say they run the 10" it'll all depend on how you have your particular XJ setup.

Based on your #'s I would go for the 10" travel.Just make sure you are properly bumpstoped.You do not want to use your shocks for bumstops.Be sure to get the bolt top's.For your use,it sounds like you'll like these,more shock travel is good for going fast to :).

Based on your #'s I would go for the 10" travel.Just make sure you are properly bumpstoped.You do not want to use your shocks for bumstops.Be sure to get the bolt top's.For your use,it sounds like you'll like these,more shock travel is good for going fast to .

So your recommending 10" even in the rear? I got thrown off by your recommendation for bolt tops which would apply to the front.

For the front,yes.Cycle your rear travel to measure full bump to full droop,I'm guessing 8" in the rear.
Tire size would also be a factor

Last edited:
Back