• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

conv. from TC231 to 242...what do I need?

Oseberg

NAXJA Forum User
Hi

Have been spinning arround for some time with the idea of going from 231 to 242 on my XJ 97 4,0L with the manual AX15 set up.
Today I purchased a 242 TC and now I'm wondering what I need to change for getting this set up working.

I.e. the shifter handle pattern. Do I need this one? (blue mark up)

ed374c6d-e941-42b4-adfb-bf698b153300.jpg

and this one

5a7bd05d-ba46-45b8-9e49-f43c317cbb51.jpg

The TC came from an 94 G.Cherokee. Hope drive axles are OK to re-use.(length). Have Chrysler 8,25 rear axle and D30 front axle.

Looking forward to get some god answers:worship:

You need your head examined for going from a good, strong t-case to a weak one made for driving on the street.

Sorry, I got nothing.

You need your head examined for going from a good, strong t-case to a weak one made for driving on the street.

Sorry, I got nothing.

Did you forget to take your " happy pill" today?...do never mess with your perscription.

242 is strong enough for my kind of use.

To install a 242 to replace a 231 in a 1997-2001 you need the T-case, the shift gate, the shifter bezel. If you want the dashboard lamp to work, you need the wire plug that is attached to the 242 and as much of the wires as you can get.

Search the forum, there are some threads on the swap, making the dash lamp work, and there might be a Jeep wire harness adapter. Read this - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/transfer-case-swap-wiring-issue-843011/

standard.jpg

Sorry, I got nothing.
C'mon, buddy - nobody asked your opinion, so in the future it'd probably be wise to keep it to yourself (especially considering not a single part of your response is in any way relevant to the OP's question). The 231 simply doesn't meet everyone's needs or wants for their vehicle.

Some of us are willing to sacrifice some strength in the T-case in the name of having a street-friendly 4WD mode. Not everyone is building rock-crawling beat-the-f*ck-out-of-me trail rigs, and consequently will never come close to reaching the strength limitations of the 242.

And finally, once again Tim_MN has come in as the demigod of XJ knowledge and answered questions I, too, had for my upcoming swap. Thanks man! :D

I don't know if this applys or not, but I just went from a 242 in my ZJ to a 231. Both came from a 98XJ. When I put the 242 in last year, I also installed the shift box from the XJ. I just put the 231 in and all of the linkage from the 242 works fine including the shift gate. I had to fine tune the adjustment, but it works fine. Maybe I got lucky. I didn't hook up the VIC as I can feel what position the tc is in. If I thought it would be better, I would swap shift boxes and gates with you.

I would assume you checked the spline count and they are the same.
I was of the impression there are some with 21 and/or 23 spline depending on the set up.
A couple friends did a 242 to 231 swap and had issues with the lenght of the piece that covers the input shaft where it hooks up to the trans. It could have been the year they were working with. I think 93,94ish.
Personnaly, I wouldn't put in a 242 but then again it doesn't meet my needs.
Good luck with your swap and post some pics so others might be able to have an easy time doing there swap.
Stukboy

linkage does not have to be replaced but it does need to be adjusted (usually)

i have to argue with this. i found out from experience the hard way the linkages do have to be replace. after numerous of adjustments time after time. i finally got the other linkages set them side by side and found out they where different lengths.

btw i went the other way 231 to 242. i just went back to the 242 and had to change back the linkages.

OK, many thanks for input.
I use the XJ for daily driving to work. Weekends up in the mountain, and 242 conversion optimizes my driving when part slippy on snow, part dry road appears. Simple as that.

Rock climbing and mud swimming for my XJ is a "nada" thing, but guess the original XJ's with small mods also schould have access to his great forum.

Splines:
Checked...it is a 23 spline, long input shaft...witch means it's will be direct fit to my AX15. Will of cource post a small rebuild write up thread, it might be useful for others.

I'd love a write up,looking to do this soon as well.

Sweet this is awesome. the 242 is a better case IMO anyway. If your breaking a 242 then your probably going to be breaking a 231 aswell, therefor you should be looking into an atlas.

Back