• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil pressure

daveenlola

NAXJA Forum User
So i just got my 89'xj this past weekend. It seems like there is somthing wrong with the oil pressure. Today when i was stopped it was very low. 10psi mabey, i was parked and tapped the gas to try and get the idle up because it seemed like it was idleing low too. Also, at speed when i let off the gas especially down hill the gauge pegs its self all the way up. Then when i get back on the gas it goes to around 40-50.
Do you guys know what this could be?

Also there is oil in the dirty airfilter...could that have anything to do with it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
:helpme::helpme::helpme:

Could be bad sensor or bad connection at the sensor.
Oil sensor is located on the adapter that the oil filter mounts to.
Pull the wire off and put it back on a couple of times, makeinng sure there is no oil or other crud in there and make sure it is seated firmly.
On the oil in the air filter, make sure that the line from the intake manifold back to the top rear of the valve cover is in good condition aqnd connected tightly at both ends.
Make sure it is clean all the way through. With engine idleing, disconnect at the valve cover and make sure you have good vacuum at that end.
Make sure the rubber gromet that it seats in is open and clear into the valve cover.
Search on ccv and oil in the air filter for more info.

Nick

daveenlola,

You have two issues. The oil pressure thing is almost textbook bad oil pressure sending unit. You need to replace that before trying anything else. Local parts house usually have them in stock pretty cheap. There are two kinds one for a gauge and one for an idiot light, depending on what you have in your instrument cluster. I would get that fixed ASAP as you need to know if you have good oil pressure. There is still a possibility that your oil pump check valve is getting stuck open due to crud in it. The sending unit is located on the passenger side of the block just above the oil filter and is really easy to change. I think costs about 10 bucks when I changed mine last year. It is just above the blue oil filter in the image below.

http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/8048/koolstoffwegja0.jpg

Now the oil in the air filter is a completely different issue. It is an issue with bad positive crankcase ventilation. The fix here is vacuum lines and the little flapper valves just under the valve cover where the rubber grommets go in. I fought mine doing this for a while. I kept making vacuum lines and cleaning out every orifice there was. Nothing worked. The only real fix to it is to take off your valve cover and get like a 7mm wrench take the flapper valves off and clean them up. Then replace the vacuum lines don't waste your time and money trying to make your own, its not worth it. Just save your money and buy the sets. Here is a good link to the problem:

http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=257985

Hope this helps.

hollandbr2

Back