• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Computer fit?

AshtonPJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1996 XJ Automatic 4.0 and the computer fried a few weeks back. Found one on craigslist for 25 bucks. However, it says for a 91-95. Is it possible that this will fil for the 96 and get it running? Thanks

OBD I vs OBD II, plus other differences. It's not going to work.

When replacing any emission related electronics, stick with the same year, for specific calibrations, etc. Now, I'll throw one more curveball at ya. What month was your '96 made? Especially the 'Classic' model. Many were made up until December of '96, like our Classic, and have some '97 components. One way I tell the difference is to look at the windshield wiper arms. The newer arms on the older body are a sign that it was made late, and may have '97 components installed, and may have a different computer, unless, of course, yours is a later model.

The '96 models were recalled to have the computer 're-flashed'. I had mine done in May, and it seems to behave better, a little better MPG, and before, if you let off the gas, it felt like the engine was dragging you slower, accompanied by a little driveline snatch (torque converter clutch dragging?). That has gone away. There are those on this forum who felt their vehicle ran worse afterward, mine seems better. Go figure...

Back