• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bumpsteer/Loose Steering Only When It Rains

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
Ok call me crazy....but I am serious! For the past week I have compared it and there is no doubt about it.
NOTE: I have NOT had a professional alignment done yet....wanted to wait untill I figured on what I was going to do with my XJ (Didn't want to pay for two alignments)
Anyways, I have a IRO HD tie rod with new rod ends (2 months old)
OEM Draglink with new end (2 Months Old)
IRO Trac bar (less than a year old)
When the roads are dry...everything is fine. steering feels great and no problems.
When it rains and the roads are wet.....My steering is loose and I have bumpsteer issues. I though that maybe I should rotate my tires around and see if that helped...well it did...but it hadn't rained that day...then when it rained the next day...it started up again.

I have driven to school in the morning when the roads are dry and everything was fine...then drove to work when the roads were wet and the steering was loose and I had bumpsteer. Then I would leave work after the roads were dry and everything was back to normal.......

Do I just need to get an alignment that bad? I mean, I did the tape measure alignment, but it still seems to want to go to the left.

Yes, get the alignment done. It sounds like the toe is still off. Tape measure method will work, but honestly it sucks when you are trying to get it to a sixteenth of an inch. Too many variables. Best just to use that to get it driveable to drive to the alignment shop.
-Aaron

Back