• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Blower motor not working-fuse popping

truckeejeeper

NAXJA Forum User
I have read as many posts on this topic as I can find..So my blower motor fuse is blasting out immediately after I turn the switch from "off" to any speed. Doesnt matter hot or cold. It goes asap. I had thought it was the motor so I replaced that..and the resistor pack. no change.."pop!" right after moving the switch over from off. I'm not that great with electrical but I guess I will learn. someone told me to check the relay..which one is it? Its in that fusebox in the engine compartment, yes? they dont seem to be labeled. I guess there is a short somewhere. Anyone have this problem ever, might know likely place to look? Its gonna get cold soon and I need that heat..thx this site is the best. cheers- TJ (1991 Sport 5sp. 4.0HO 4x4)

Pull the switch itself. They are weak and prone to meltdown.

I don't think there is a relay in that circuit?

My bet is on a bad motor. Pull the motor. If the fuse doesn't blow anymore it is the motor.

Have you pulled it and confirmed that it is the problem yet?

You will most likely have to get one from a dealer or salvage yard, and I think moparonlineparts.com has them for around $80.

Please make sure that is the problem first, hate to see people waste money.

I have seen this on a few older XJ's, check and see if the wiring going to the harness runs under the upper radiator hose. Check the underside of the wiring for worn insulation, tape it up if it is.

My '92 is doing the exact same thing. Not the blower as I disconnected it and the fuse immediately pops when power is applied. I'm going straight at the switch now and would like to know if that could be tricky to get at.

NAPA has it, PN ECHHC148, about 15 bucks says stesul411

If that's the case, great. Going to NAPA today!

Roger

Blower is now working!!! I sourced a used resistor at Pick n Pull (lots and lots of XJ's there thanks to clunker program; most alot nicer and newer than the one I drive!) for $2.50. I also went to NAPA for the blower switch ($15). Glad I did because blower switch was bad too. The receptacles for it showed some meltage but it cleaned up ok. Very simple replacement for both parts. I'm thrilled that I will be able to actually have some hot air blowin' in this winter. BTW TruckeeJeeper, the Pick n Pull I went to is the one east of Carson City on Highway 50. Their Sparks location is usually full of XJ's as well. There was lots of good stuff to be had.

Last edited:
on the blower motor circuit, is there any thing that reduces voltage before it gets to the motor itself? Im asking because I had something go wrong last winter and the resistor pack got so hot it caught fire. So I was thinking I would bypass everything and just run it wide open. Any thoughts.

on the blower motor circuit, is there any thing that reduces voltage before it gets to the motor itself? Im asking because I had something go wrong last winter and the resistor pack got so hot it caught fire. So I was thinking I would bypass everything and just run it wide open. Any thoughts.

You (and most everybody else that owns an XJ) should do what AMC and Chrysler were to Freakin' cheap to do--rewire the damn heater blower motor, resistor pack, and switch to work through more appropriate size wiring and a relay.

Of course, it is on my (long) list of things to do.

I would love to, but Im not that proficient with relays and wiring yet, lol. Hence the reason I was wanting just to bypass everything and just maybe run it off a toggle switch. i realize this will only run wide open, just wondering if there would be any drawbacks???

Thanks for all the info. As mentioned I already replaced the motor and resistor pack. No Help. I have a new switch ordered and will pop it in when it arrives and update on that. Rewiring sometime would be cool, I never use it on anything but high anyway. And thanks for the tip on the picknpull by carson city, I'll check it out. Funny when the cash for clunker story was on the evening news, the car in the little graphic was a red cherokee XJ- just like mine. I was a bit offended.. thats no clunker! Anyway, thanks all.

UPDATE: well I replaced the fan switch (easy), and a relay up in the fusebox in the engine compartment. Fuse is still popping immediately. All wires look clean and solid. I'm stuck. Help? I guess I'll keep looking but it's annoying me..and its cold now...cheers- - TJ

Back